sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Chelsea Banned From Renewing Contracts And Buying Players As Roman Abramovich Gets Hit By Sanctions
Home>Football
Updated 09:58 10 Mar 2022 GMTPublished 09:53 10 Mar 2022 GMT

Chelsea Banned From Renewing Contracts And Buying Players As Roman Abramovich Gets Hit By Sanctions

The Russian has had his assets frozen, as the UK's crackdown on wealthy oligarchs continues

Tom Fenton

Tom Fenton

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich has had his UK assets frozen, after being hit by new UK government sanctions.

The billionaire is one of seven Russian oligarchs who have been subject to sanctions, implemented by ministers on Thursday.

The action could massively impact the ongoing sale of Chelsea, although the club has been given a special licence to continue with football-related activities in the interim.

As Martyn Ziegler of The Times reports, Chelsea will no longer be able to sell any more matchday tickets, with only season ticket holders able to go to games for the foreseeable future.

Furthermore, no merchandise sales are permitted as a result of the sanctions, while no player transfers, new contracts, or catering services at the ground will be allowed either.

Last week, Abramovich announced that he intends to sell Chelsea after almost 20 years of ownership, with net proceeds from the sale to be donated to "all victims of the war in Ukraine".In a statement, he said the decision is "in the best interest of the club" amid Russia's widely condemned invasion of Ukraine.

The sanctions will come into force before the sale of the football club, estimated to be worth around £3bn, is able to take place.

"Today's sanctions are the latest step in the UK's unwavering support for the Ukrainian people," UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced on Thursday.

"We will be ruthless in pursuing those who enable the killing of civilians, destruction of hospitals and illegal occupation of sovereign allies."

Featured Image Credit:

Topics: Ukraine, Chelsea, Premier League, FA, Roman Abramovich, stamford bridge, Russia

Tom Fenton
Tom Fenton

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Choose your content:

an hour ago
2 hours ago
3 hours ago
  • Getty
    an hour ago

    'We approached him' - Roberto Martinez reveals Premier League star refused Portugal call-up ahead of World Cup

    Roberto Martinez has revealed that the proposal to the player was unsuccessful.

    Football
  • Getty
    2 hours ago

    Why Man City are set to pay Chelsea to replace Pep Guardiola with Enzo Maresca

    Manchester City have agreed a three-year deal with Enzo Maresca, who is set to replace Pep Guardiola.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    Portugal announce final 26-man World Cup squad as two Premier League stars snubbed

    Roberto Martinez has announced his squad ahead of Portugal taking on DR Congo in their opening group match on June 17.

    Football
  • Getty
    3 hours ago

    Pep Guardiola next job odds: Shock favourite emerges as potential next move

    Guardiola is set to leave Man City

    Football