To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Not now
OK
Advert

Barcelona Confirm Gerard Pique Has Taken 'Significant' Pay Cut In Brilliant Gesture

Published 
| Last updated 

Barcelona Confirm Gerard Pique Has Taken 'Significant' Pay Cut In Brilliant Gesture

Barcelona have released a statement thanking Gerard Pique for taking a significant salary cut.

It was announced on Saturday morning that Memphis Depay, Eric Garcia and Rey Manaj have all been registered to play ahead of this weekend's La Liga opener against Real Sociedad following an agreement with the experienced centre-back over his wage.

Barcelona's current wage percentage needs to be at 70 per cent to fall in line with La Liga regulations, according to The Independent, but the La Liga club's wage bill was at 95 per cent. But it appears Pique's remarkable gesture has levelled things out.

Advert
Image credit: PA
Image credit: PA

In a statement on their official website, Barca said the following about Pique. "This fact has been possible thanks to the agreement reached with Gerard Piqué for the second Barcelona captain to significantly lower his salary," it began.

"FC Barcelona has been able to register Memphis, Eric Garcia and Rey Manaj in the Professional Football League. This fact has been possible thanks to the agreement reached with Gerard Piqué for the second Barcelona captain to significantly lower his salary.

"In this way, Ronald Koeman will be able to count on all the players available for this Sunday's game with Real Sociedad corresponding to the first day of the competition.

Advert

"On the other hand, the Club continues to work together with two of the four captains such as Sergio Busquets and Jordi Alba to reach a salary adjustment to the situation that the entity is currently experiencing. In this sense, it should be noted that the predisposition on the part of both players is total and absolute."

Image credit: PA
Image credit: PA

The statement continued: "During the summer, FC Barcelona has achieved sales and transfers of members of the first team that have allowed all players to register for the start of the official competition.

"These are the sales of Jean-Clair Todibo for 8 million euros to OGC Nice, that of Junior Firpo to Leeds United for 15 million, the transfer of Trincao to Wolverhampton Wanderers for 6 million and the sales of Carles Aleñá to Getafe for 5 million and that of Konrad de la Fuente to Olympique de Marseille for 3.5 million, these last two operations with 50% because the repurchase right is maintained.

Advert

"To these should be added the termination of the contract of Matheus Fernandes."

Earlier this week, former Barcelona boardroom member Jaume Llopis told El Larguero that Pique was the only Barcelona player who decided to take a voluntary pay cut amid the club's financial woes.

He also criticised the Barcelona president over Messi's exit at the Camp Nou in the scathing interview.

Advert

"I didn't want to cause such a commotion, I resigned to have the freedom to be able to say what many Barcelona fans think and demand transparency, which is something that has been lacking," Llopis told Cadena SER.

"Leo even said so himself: 'They didn't do everything that could have been done.' I have been a club member for 66 years."

Featured Image Credit: PA

Topics: Football, Eric Garcia, Barcelona, Memphis Depay, Lionel Messi, Gerard Pique, La Liga

Jack Kenmare
More like this
Advert
Advert
Advert

Chosen for YouChosen for You

Football

Fabrizio Romano Explains Why Cristiano Ronaldo Wants To Leave Man United And Where He Could Go Next

30 minutes ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

MMA

Israel Adesanya Defends His UFC Middleweight Title By Defeating Jared Cannonier

4 hours ago