Atletico Madrid Qualify For Champions League Last-16, They Were Bottom At The Start Of Play
Atletico Madrid have spectacularly booked their spot in the next round of the Champions League after starting the day at the bottom of the group.
At the start of play, Atleti were bottom of Group B and needed a result at Porto and a favour from Liverpool.
Diego Simeone's side were dealt a rough start when Luis Suarez was forced off in the 13th minute after picking up a knock.
But after a goalless first-half, Antoine Griezmann put his team in the lead - scoring from close range in the 56th minute.
Angel Correa doubled Atleti's advantage in the 90th minute with a brilliant counter-attack.
Somehow, Atletico Madrid always seem to find a way in the Champions League :sweat_smile:- Football on BT Sport (@btsportfootball) December 7, 2021
Angel Correa struck on the break to help the visitors over the finish line against Porto :zap:
Diego Simeone loved it!#UCL pic.twitter.com/GzxX0oNi1S
Rodrigo De Paul made it 3-0 in injury time. Sergio Oliveira pulled one back from the spot.
LAST 16 HERE WE COME!!! :red_circle::white_circle: pic.twitter.com/S8pO9BHZy3
- Atlético de Madrid (@atletienglish) December 7, 2021
Both teams also had a man sent off as Yannick Carrasco and Wendell were shown straight red cards as the game ended in fiery fashion.
Porto keeper Agustín Marchesín also picked up a red card.
67': Carrasco sent off :red_circle:
70': Wendell sent off :red_circle:
The second half of Porto v Atletico Madrid has unravelled :sweat_smile:#UCL pic.twitter.com/ZTVsCzLvoX
- Football on BT Sport (@btsportfootball) December 7, 2021
Liverpool's 2-1 victory over AC Milan meant that the defending La Liga champions secured passage to the last-16.
Rounding off our #UCL group by making it 18 points from 18 :red_circle:
:raised_hands: #ACMLIV pic.twitter.com/vOYEUrSzPW
- Liverpool FC (@LFC) December 7, 2021
Jurgen Klopp's team top Group B having won all six of their group games.
Atleti finish in second place ahead of Porto, with Milan rooted to the bottom and out of Europe.
Featured Image Credit: PA
- There were serious limbs on Porto's plane after last-gasp Atletico Madrid penalty miss sees them reach Champions League round of 16
- Manchester United Knocked Out Of The Champions League By Atletico Madrid
- Atletico Madrid are out of Europe COMPLETELY, finish bottom of Group B
- The Last Time Cristiano Ronaldo Faced Atletico Madrid In A Champions League Knockout Fixture Will Go Down In History