To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Not now
OK
Advert

Newcastle Have 'Verbally Agreed' To Quadruple Their Dream Signing's Wage

Published 
| Last updated 

Newcastle Have 'Verbally Agreed' To Quadruple Their Dream Signing's Wage

Newcastle United are prepared to quadruple the wages of Lyon midfielder Bruno Guimaraes and have 'verbally agreed' a deal with the midfielder.

Loading…

Eddie Howe's side have already snapped up Kieran Trippier and Chris Wood in the transfer window and are looking to make Guimaraes a statement signing.

The 24-year-old has been chased by Arsenal and Manchester United in the past and reports earlier this week claimed the Magpies had agreed a €40 million deal.

Advert

Lyon released a statement denying that however and L'Equipe claim it was down to how Newcastle wanted the deal structuring.

Image Credit: Alamy
Image Credit: Alamy

It's claimed Newcastle wanted to spread payment over five years which Lyon deemed unacceptable for one of their star players.

A new deal is currently being rehashed, said to be in the region of €42 million plus €10 million in bonuses and a healthy increase to Guimaraes' deal.

Advert

Guimaraes is with Brazil on international duty and could complete his medical in Belo Horizonte on Friday.

He's regarded as one of the top midfielders in Ligue 1 and will offer quality in a position in desperate need of strengthening at St James' Park.

Image Credit: Alamy
Image Credit: Alamy

Newcastle are currently 18th in the Premier League and have won just two games all season.

Advert

Howe is keen to strengthen his squad in the transfer window and another position they're keen to improve is central defence.

Negotiations for Sevilla's Diego Carlos appear to have hit a standstill, despite spending most of January chasing his signature.

The La Liga outfit have said the offer received was 'insufficient' and won't be taking talks any further.

Image Credit: Alamy
Image Credit: Alamy
Advert

Sporting director, Monchi, told a press conference: "The offer was very important, respectful, but it was an offer that our board considered insufficient. It is also true that it was maybe not the best time.

"It’s a difficult market in which to find a replacement for him. If the offer had come in the summer, things may have been different. Jules [Kounde] is a magnificent player and I would say the same about Diego Carlos. I think he is one of the top five central defenders in Europe."

United have insisted on a £12 million survival clause if Lingard helps them stay up.

Advert

Newcastle are reluctant to pay that however, given the 29-year-old is out of contract in the summer.

Featured Image Credit: Alamy

Topics: Newcastle United, Lyon, Ligue 1, Premier League

Daniel Marland
More like this
Advert
Advert
Advert

Chosen for YouChosen for You

Football

Fans Think The 2016/17 Version Of Dele Alli Turned Up Against Crystal Palace, It's Great To See

4 hours ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

Football

Everton Comeback From 2-0 Down To Secure Premier League Safety In The Most Dramatic Fashion

5 hours ago