Newcastle have completed the signing of striker Chris Wood on a two-and-half-year deal from Premier League rivals Burnley.
The Magpies have reportedly met Wood’s release clause, which is thought to be around £25m.
The 30-year-old completed at medical at St James’ Park on Wednesday and has now been confirmed as Newcastle’s second signing of the January window, following Kieran Trippier’s £12m move from Atletico Madrid.
“This is a very exciting opportunity for me and I'm delighted to be a Newcastle United player,” Wood told Newcastle’s website.
"I have played at St. James' Park a few times and it's an amazing place, so to have the chance to represent this club with those incredible supporters behind me and my team-mates is very special.
"The club and manager have been first class during this process, and I really can't wait to get onto the pitch and repay the faith they have in me, especially with a vital part of the season ahead of us."
Wood's arrival is a major boost for Newcastle head coach Eddie Howe, who was desperate to sign a new striker before the transfer window closed after losing Callum Wilson to injury.
Wilson suffered a hamstring tear against Manchester United last month and is now facing at least eight weeks on the sidelines.
Wood has been tasked with replacing the England international's goals as Newcastle look to avoid relegation.
"Chris is an important signing for us at a crucial time and I'm very pleased we have been able to move quickly and bring him here," said Howe.
"He is a very dangerous attacking threat, has a physicality and character that I really like, and he has vast experience in the Premier League. He will be a great fit for us."
Wood leaves Burnley having scored an impressive 53 goals in 165 games during his five-year spell at Turf Moor.
The New Zealand international’s departure is a significant blow to the Clarets, who are third bottom of the Premier League – above Newcastle only on goal difference.
Featured Image Credit: Alamy & Twitter: Newcastle
- Peter Crouch Says He Is 'Available' After Hearing Chris Wood Is Leaving Burnley For Newcastle In £25 Million Switch
- Barcelona star with £430m release clause names Man Utd as the one club he'd move to
- Bundesliga giants offer lucrative deal to "world-class" target wanted by Liverpool, Arsenal and Newcastle
- Newcastle could hijack Arsenal's bid to sign £50m+ star in January after Saudi owners 'give the green light'