Napoli boss Luciano Spalletti's future in doubt just two weeks after securing Serie A title
| Last updated
Luciano Spalletti could be replaced as Napoli manager just weeks after the Italian masterminded their first Serie A title in over 30 years.
It has been a long winding road for Napoli to reach the summit of Italian football for just the third time in their history, following on from the two titles they won with Diego Maradona in the side.
There had been many missed opportunities and late slip ups to lose out on other titles but just 15 days ago they finally won the title again.
Incredible scenes in the city of Naples followed the draw with Udinese which confirmed them as Italian champions, with five games of the season still left.
Maradona is basically a god in the Italian city with murals adorning the streets and his name understandably now given to the stadium.
The current crop of players might not get to quite that level but the likes of Victor Osimhen and Khvicha Kvaratskhelia should at least expect to be treated like kings.
And you'd have thought the same would happen for Spalletti, the man who has outshone some 'bigger' names in football management to be the person to bring success back to the club.
However according to Italian outlet Il Corriere della Sera, the 64-year-old's time at the club could soon be over after a falling out with club president President Aurelio De Laurentiis.
The reports claims that has been 'radio silence' between the pair in the two weeks since the title win and tensions have risen.
The title win triggered another year on the manager's contract but part of the issue is that he wasn't told in person about the confirmation of the extra year.
That now means he is earning the same amount as he was before becoming a champion with the club not starting negotiations on a new contract.
De Laurentiis is also said to have not rung the manager to congratulate him and the team after the draw with Udinese confirmed the title, after the president didn't travel for the match.
As per Gazzetta dello Sport, further proof of the rift came on Thursday when the president held a press conference and failed to mention the manager throughout.
The former Roma boss wasn't even in attendance and instead goalkeeper Alex Meret flanked the film producer and was praised by him.
Reports have claimed that former Napoli manager Rafa Benitez and recent Tottenham Hotspur boss Antonio Conte are both in the running to replace Spalletti if he leaves this summer.