Man Utd players 'make feelings clear' on Greenwood return as potential next step revealed
| Last updated
Manchester United's players don't want Mason Greenwood back in the dressing room this season and are worried about the impact his return could have on the team's progress, a report has claimed.
Charges of attempted rape, assault and coercive control against Greenwood were dropped earlier this week after key witnesses withdrew their involvement in the case and new material came to light during the police investigation.
But the 21-year-old is yet to return to training at Manchester United, with the club conducting an internal process before deciding their next move.
"Manchester United notes the decision of the Crown Prosecution Service that all charges against Mason Greenwood have been dropped," read a club statement.
"The club will now conduct its own process before determining next steps. We will not make any further comment until that process is complete."
According to The Sun, Greenwood remains suspended by United, who will continue to investigate his behaviour before making a final decision.
The report claims that United's players are reluctant to see him return this season and are worried about it having a negative impact on the team, which has made significant progress this season under new manager Erik ten Hag.
A source told The Sun: "The players are open to him returning to the team but the scrutiny could be massively distracting.
"The dressing room is the happiest it has been for ages and no one wants to rock the boat."
The Guardian claim Manchester United staff are split over whether Greenwood should be allowed to resume his career at the club.
While a 'substantial proportion of the workforce would be deeply unhappy if Greenwood played for the club again', the Guardian claim that 'others feel a duty of care towards the player' who denied the charges against him and has not been found guilty of any crime.
Greenwood 'considering move to China'
Greenwood released a short statement after the charges were dropped, which made no mention of his football career and plans for the future.
"I am relieved that this matter is now over and I would like to thank my family, loved ones and friends for their support," read the statement.
"There will be no further comment at this time."
Greenwood has not played for United in over a year, with his last appearance for the club coming against West Ham on January 22, 2022.
A separate report from The Sun claims Greenwood has now 'begrudgingly' accepted United's decision to suspend him in the wake of the allegations, after initially telling friends he had no intention of playing for the club again.
A source said: "At the time he was adamant he didn’t want to put on the red shirt again.
"He felt like the club didn’t stand by him. He said he would be happy to go and play in China as long as that meant he was getting paid well and was playing.
"His view may have softened over the last few months, but he was not happy at all."
Featured Image Credit: Alamy
Topics: Mason Greenwood, Football, Premier League, Manchester United