sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
"He didn't take his chance" - Rio Ferdinand slams Man Utd flop for having "no impact" under Erik ten Hag
Home>Football
Published 11:28 8 Nov 2022 GMT

"He didn't take his chance" - Rio Ferdinand slams Man Utd flop for having "no impact" under Erik ten Hag

Rio Ferdinand was critical of Manchester United midfielder Donny van de Beek for “not taking his chance” against Aston Villa.

Chris Byfield

Chris Byfield

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Rio Ferdinand was critical of Manchester United midfielder Donny van de Beek for “not taking his chance” in the club’s 3-1 defeat against Aston Villa on Sunday.

Van de Beek was awarded his second consecutive start in the defeat at Villa Park, with the Netherlands international having also started against Real Sociedad in San Sebastian on Thursday.

The 25-year-old had been a star of Erik ten Hag’s Ajax side and signed for the Red Devils in 2020 for a reported £35million plus £5million in add-ons. However, he has since struggled for game time and form.

In the absence of Old Trafford talisman Bruno Fernandes through suspension, van de Beek was handed the reins to the number 10 position but failed to make his mark on the game.

Made “no impact”

Man Utd legend Ferdinand was critical of van de Beek’s performance on his Youtube channel.

Advert

Despite the Netherlands star making only his fifth Premier League start across three seasons at Old Trafford, Ferdinand believed the midfielder could have performed better.

The former Man Utd centre-back said: “The manager knows him, the manager knows what he has got hidden under his bonnet, what he is capable of.

“He has not come anywhere near doing that while he’s been at Manchester United or in England for that matter. He hasn’t.

“You get him in and around the box this guy can finish. The problem with the way he’s being deployed at Man United is he doesn’t get in the box, he doesn’t get the opportunities to get in there to show the best parts of his game.

“He just hasn’t been able to find rhythm, momentum, or form, in a Man United shirt. The performance we saw wasn’t anything different to what we’ve seen at United, no impact.”

The defence of Donny

While many believe that it may be time for Man Utd to cut their losses and sell the van de Beek, Ferdinand did express sympathy for the Dutchman given his lack of opportunities.

The 44-year-old said: “I think you’ve got to give players a chance. He’s [Ten Hag] got to work out who he wants to keep in his squad.

“He’s got to find out about these players, so if this week was the week to do it then so be it. We got beat but I don’t think the result is all down to Donny van de Beek.

“But as we all know this is a cutthroat game. You’ve got to take your chances with both hands when they come cause you’re not going to get loads and unfortunately this week he didn’t take his chance. Now it’s up to the manager when he gets other chances.”

Featured Image Credit: Alamy

Topics: Donny van de Beek, Rio Ferdinand, Football, Manchester United, Aston Villa, Premier League

Chris Byfield
Chris Byfield

Sport journalist with experience writing on football, rugby, boxing and the Olympics. I'm also a Crystal Palace fan. Please don't hold this against me.

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

an hour ago
2 hours ago
  • Manchester City
    an hour ago

    Pep Guardiola signs off farewell speech by saying something he ‘wasn’t allowed to' as Sky Sports issue apology

    He ended his six-minute speech with an X-rated comment.

    Football
  • Getty
    an hour ago

    West Ham must play unwanted fixture before next season starts after Premier League relegation

    West Ham have been relegated from the Premier League despite their final-day 3-0 win over Leeds.

    Football
  • Getty
    2 hours ago

    Kevin De Bruyne believes Premier League denied him assist record that Bruno Fernandes now holds

    Fernandes surpassed the assist record De Bruyne previously held alongside Thierry Henry on Sunday.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    West Ham player has told Nuno Espirito Santo he will 'never play for him again' amid Premier League relegation

    West Ham's situation goes from bad to worse.

    Football
  • Rio Ferdinand Reveals Ruben Amorim Detail He 'Didn't Say' Before Sacking
  • Rio Ferdinand snubs Cristiano Ronaldo as he names the Man Utd superstar who made immediate impact at the club
  • Rio Ferdinand issues Man Utd with stark Bryan Mbeumo transfer warning
  • Rio Ferdinand reveals two Man Utd legends had to be 'pulled apart' and didn't speak for three months