• Football
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • Home
  • Football
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • Lionel Messi
    • Cristiano Ronaldo
    • EA FC 25
    • Wrexham
  • Boxing
    • Tyson Fury
    • Anthony Joshua
    • Oleksandr Usyk
    • Mike Tyson
    • Jake Paul
    • Logan Paul
  • UFC
    • Dana White
    • Conor McGregor
    • Khabib Nurmagomedov
    • Jon Jones
    • Paddy Pimblett
    • Joe Rogan
  • Other Sport
    • Athletics
    • Formula 1
    • MMA
    • Motorsport
    • NBA
    • Darts
    • NFL
    • Snooker
    • Wrestling
    • Tennis
    • Cricket
    • Golf
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • UNILAD
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
"I'm very surprised.." - Former Liverpool star shocked by contract rumours

Home> Football

Published 16:41 28 Dec 2022 GMT

"I'm very surprised.." - Former Liverpool star shocked by contract rumours

He's branded a current player a "major disappointment".

Rory O'Callaghan

Rory O'Callaghan

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Former Liverpool midfielder Didi Hamann says he would be shocked if the club decided to offer Naby Keita a new deal.

Keita, 27, joined Liverpool in a £54m move from RB Leipzig in 2018 – in the process becoming one of the most expensive signings in the club's history.

He has failed to live up to his huge price tag since arriving at Anfield, managing only 11 goals in 119 appearances over the course of five injury-affected plagued seasons with the Premier League club.

Could Keita be offered a new deal?

Keita is out of contract with Liverpool at the end of the season and it remains to be seen whether the club will offer him a new deal.

Despite the midfielder making only one appearance in the Premier League this season, GOAL have reported that Liverpool are considering offering him a new contract.

Advert

Hamann is stunned by the report and believes his former club would be making a major error if they gave Keita a new deal.

"I'm very surprised at people who talk about Naby Keita getting a new contract because he's been a major disappointment since joining the club," Hamann told Stadium Astro.

Keita was linked with a move away from Liverpool in the summer transfer window but manager Jurgen Klopp was reluctant to sell the Guinea international at the time.

"Do we sell Naby now and not replace him? No, that is not possible," Klopp said in August.

"Of course not. But it is not the plan. We are done, so we don't think that a player can go and we don’t replace him.

"No, there's no chance. Naby will not go but if he would, which he will not do, there must be a replacement, of course. It's clear."

Watch Leeds United vs Manchester City on December 28 live with a free 30-day trial to Prime!

Featured Image Credit: Alamy

Topics: Liverpool, Naby Keita, Football, Premier League, Transfers

Rory O'Callaghan
Rory O'Callaghan

Rory O'Callaghan is Editorial Lead at SPORTbible. He has previously worked for Sky Sports News, MailOnline and Reach covering football, cricket, boxing and MMA.

X

@rory_ocallaghan

Advert

Advert

Advert

Choose your content:

an hour ago
19 hours ago
20 hours ago
  • Getty
    an hour ago

    Donald Trump makes huge decision impacting World Cup nations as White House speaks out

    The US President has made a controversial call ahead of the tournament.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    19 hours ago

    Wrexham transfer target ready to 'accept' move if they achieve Premier League promotion

    Several clubs are also said to be interested, including Aston Villa and Everton.

    Football
  • Getty
    19 hours ago

    Scott McTominay speaks out on future as shock club 'leads way' to sign Napoli star

    McTominay was named as the Serie A MVP last season after signing for Napoli from Manchester United.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    20 hours ago

    Jesse Lingard close to transfer after seven teams 'rejected' chance to sign him

    Lingard is said to be in talks with the little-known club.

    Football
  • Ex-Liverpool Star Jordon Ibe Arrested Immediately After Stepping Off Plane in UK
  • Ex-Liverpool player was voted flop of the season by fellow professionals in brutal anonymous poll
  • Liverpool Star Admits He Didn't Like Raheem Sterling Despite Playing Together
  • Liverpool Identify 'Dream' £100m Transfer as Contract Clause Details Revealed