sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Xavi 'ready to stay on at Barcelona' but club must agree on his two requests
Home>Football>La Liga>FC Barcelona
Published 11:06 12 Apr 2024 GMT+1

Xavi 'ready to stay on at Barcelona' but club must agree on his two requests

Xavi Hernandez could be set for a shock Barcelona U-turn according to reports.

Josh Lawless

Josh Lawless

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Barcelona boss Xavi could make a shock U-turn on and stay on at the club after previously announcing he would be departing.

Back in January the 44-year-old said he would stepping down from the role following a 5-3 defeat to Villarreal at the Estadio Olimpico Lluis Companys.

In his post-match press conference, the former Spain midfielder said: "I want to announce that on June 30 I will no longer continue as the coach at Barça. I think the situation needs to change course, and as a culer, I cannot allow the current situation.”

Advert

Rumours swirled about who might take over from Xavi but since the announcement, Barca have embarked on an incredible 12-game unbeaten run in all competitions.

They are second in La Liga and have one foot in the Champions League semi-finals after an impressive 3-2 win away at Paris Saint-Germain on Wednesday.

And Fernando Polo of Mundo Deportivo is reporting that Xavi could yet stay on at the Blaugrana.

Image: Getty
Image: Getty

President Joan Laporta and sporting director Deco are desperate for Xavi to remain but it's emerged that his decision hinges on two key demands.

For starters, he wants assurances that there won't be a high-profile departure from his squad - even with the club's well-documented financial problems.

In addition, Xavi is said to want "significant" new additions to strengthen his squad in the future.

The likes of Martin Zubimendi, Joshua Kimmich, and Bernardo Silva have all been touted as potential summer targets.

Laporta has made no secret of the fact he is trying to persuade Xavi to stay put and is hopeful of getting his wish.

Image: Getty
Image: Getty

Speaking to the same publication, he said: "I told him: we respect the fact that you're here until the end of the season. It's your decision.

"We're doing well, we're getting better and better. Look, since he's said it, he's won again and we're winking at each other as if to say something can happen here. It's going like this, it's going better [than before] and the objectives are achieved".

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Barcelona, La Liga, Xavi

Josh Lawless
Josh Lawless

Josh is a sports journalist who specialises in football and WWE. He has been published by Curzon Ashton FC, Late Tackle, Manchester City FC, The Mirror, Read Man City and Manchester Evening News. He provides coverage of professional wrestling and has covered two WrestleMania events for SPORTbible.

X

@joshlawless_

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

3 hours ago
5 hours ago
6 hours ago
7 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    3 hours ago

    Carlo Ancelotti announces 26-man Brazil World Cup squad as Neymar call made

    Brazil take on Morocco in their opening group match on June 13.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    5 hours ago

    Pep Guardiola to leave Manchester City after final game against Aston Villa as successor named

    Guardiola is expected to leave City after 10 seasons in charge.

    Football
  • Getty
    6 hours ago

    Croatia announce 26-man World Cup squad as decisions made on Modric and Gvardiol

    The European nation begin their tournament against England on June 17.

    Football
  • Getty
    7 hours ago

    Jamie Carragher reignites Mo Salah feud branding Liverpool man selfish live on MNF

    Salah demanded a return to 'heavy metal football' in an apparent parting swipe at Arne Slot

    Football
  • Brazil star 'refusing' to leave Barcelona amid claims the club are ready to let him go this summer
  • Neymar angers PSG fans with comment on Barcelona post after Champions League clash
  • The strict rule Marc Guiu and other Barcelona academy players must follow under Xavi
  • Barcelona and PSG boycott post-match interviews with TV network after 'racist comment' aimed at Lamine Yamal