sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Ex referee calls for Jose Mourinho to get ONE-YEAR BAN after calling Anthony Taylor a 'f****** disgrace'
Home>Football
Updated 15:46 5 Jun 2023 GMT+1Published 15:39 5 Jun 2023 GMT+1

Ex referee calls for Jose Mourinho to get ONE-YEAR BAN after calling Anthony Taylor a 'f****** disgrace'

He believes the punishment should be stronger.

Joe Adams

Joe Adams

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Former Swiss referee Urs Meier has called for Jose Mourinho to be banned from football for a whole year after abusing referee Anthony Taylor in the Europa League final.

Roma were beaten on penalties by Sevilla after a fiery 120 minutes in Budapest last Wednesday.

Referee Anthony Taylor took charge of the contest, handing out eight yellow cards, one of which was shown to Mourinho on the touchline.

After the full-time whistle, Mourinho waited for Taylor to appear in the carpark where he continued to lambast the Englishman, labelling him a "f****** disgrace".

Advert

On his way home, Taylor and his family were ambushed by Roma fans at Budapest airport in horrifying footage.

Mourinho has since been charged by UEFA for his actions and criticised by many throughout the football community.

Meanwhile, Meier, who was forced to retire after receiving death threats for disallowing Sol Campbell's goal for England against Portugal during the Euro 2004 quarter-final, felt the punishment wasn't strong enough.

"It's just a no-go that he threw the referee at the fans," he said on the Urs Meier podcast.

"He already did that when he was Chelsea coach with Anders Frisk [former Swedish referee who took charge of the Blues' infamous game against Barcelona in 2005], who received death threats and then ended his career as a result.

"You have to take the stage from him and consider whether he can no longer be part of international games for a year."

In addition, the Premier League also condemned the abuse towards Taylor in a statement which read: "We are shocked and appalled by the unacceptable abuse directed at Anthony Taylor and his family as they travelled back from the UEFA Europa League Final.

"No one should have to suffer the inexcusable behaviour they had to endure yesterday. Anthony is one of our most experienced and accomplished match officials and we fully support him and his family."

But certain Roma supporters have their manager's back, displaying a banner at their final Serie A game against Spezia on Sunday which read: "Taylor f****** shame".

Featured Image Credit: Alamy

Topics: Jose Mourinho, AS Roma, Europa League, Football

Joe Adams
Joe Adams

Joe is a Journalist for SPORTbible with a primary focus on football. He has previously covered a number of other sports including boxing, rugby and F1. Wishes he was born left-footed.

X

@joeadamsjourno

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

4 mins ago
an hour ago
2 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    4 mins ago

    'Talks have been held' - Man Utd considering move for cheaper midfield option as long-term investment

    The shortlist for Casemiro's replacement is getting whittled down, with one new, leading candidate holding 'talks' with United

    Football
  • Getty
    an hour ago

    Germany announce 26-man World Cup squad as surprise ex-Premier League star included

    Germany have announced their final 26-man squad for the World Cup - with a number of surprise players included.

    Football
  • Getty
    2 hours ago

    What needs to happen for nine Premier League teams to play in Europe next season

    Aston Villa's Europa League triumph has opened up a scenario where eight Premier League sides can feature in European football next term.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    MPs make desperate plea to government about controversial TNT Sports decision

    TNT broke a 34-year tradition with its coverage this year, and the MPs are furious on behalf of British football fans

    Football
  • Real Madrid prepare firesale ahead of Jose Mourinho arrival with nine players out in brutal cull
  • Shock Man City star 'offered to' Real Madrid ahead of Jose Mourinho appointment
  • Jose Mourinho Calls Out Nine Players For 'Betraying' Him In Astonishing Rant
  • Jose Mourinho could finally get to coach 'dream' player if 2007 prediction comes true