To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders
Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications
Featured Image Credit: Alamy
Neville took to social media to hit out at the La Liga giants after the club continued to spend big money on new players such as Robert Lewandowski and Raphinha.
The Catalan club confirmed the signing of Jules Kounde from Sevilla this week. The French centre back becomes Barcelona’s fifth high profile signing of the summer.
The former Manchester United player was not happy that Barcelona are willing to splash the cash for new players whilst current players like De Jong, are yet to be paid deferred wages.
According to multiple reports, Dutch international De Jong is owed around £17 million in deferred wages due to Barcelona’s financial situation. Neville said on Twitter that the player should consider legal action.
The Sky Sports pundit tweeted: “De Jong should consider legal action v Barcelona and all players should be behind him! A club spending fortunes on new players whilst not paying the ones they have under contract their full money is immoral and a breach.”
De Jong should consider legal action v Barcelona and all players should be behind him!A club spending fortunes on new players whilst not paying the ones they have under contract their full money is immoral and a breach. @FIFPRO should be all over bullying like this and stop it.— Gary Neville (@GNev2) July 25, 2022
Laporta has now responded to Neville, whilst speaking to CBS, Laporta stated that Neville was wrong to suggest legal action.
He said: “I respect his opinion, but in my opinion he's not right because I insist we are respecting all our players. We follow the contracts. If we invest in new players it's to make the club more competitive. It's a circle: You invest in new players, the fans engage and that in turn improves our economy.
“Gary has been a very good football player for Manchester United. I respect his opinion and that's all I have to say.”
"I insist we are respecting all our players. We are following all of the contracts..."— CBS Sports Golazo ⚽️ (@CBSSportsGolazo) July 30, 2022
Joan Laporta responds to @GNev2's claim that Frenkie de Jong should consider legal action over the $17 million Barcelona owe him in unpaid wages. https://t.co/Zr2DXNVS8r pic.twitter.com/j0MnjdAWDh
In addition to Neville, Laporta also addressed claims made by the chairman of the Dutch players union, Evgeniy Levchenko that he was using ‘extortion tactics’ in his negotiations with the 25-year-old midfielder.
Laporta said: “There is no extortion being used on Frenkie or anyone else, I respect his opinion, but if talks between two parties counts as extortion then I think this guy is wrong.”
Laporta then spoke about De Jong situation.
He said: “What happens if Frenkie de Jong doesn't take a pay cut and just stays at Barça? Then he will continue, he's under contract. We will respect that decision. We count on him.”
Laporta to @CBSSportsGolazo: "What happens if Frenkie de Jong doesn't take a pay cut and just stays at Barça? Then he will continue, he's under contract. We will respect that decision. We count on him". ⚠️🇳🇱 #FCB— Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano) July 30, 2022
"There is no extortion being used on de Jong or anyone else". pic.twitter.com/aCUNmO5wl3
It was reported earlier this month that a deal was agreed between Barcelona and United for the transfer of De Jong, United were to pay Barcelona an initial fee of £63 million plus a further £8.4 million in performance related add ons.
Will De Jong leave Barcelona before the transfer window slams shut? Only time will tell.