Barcelona President Joan Laporta Insists Frenkie De Jong Is Not For Sale
| Last updated
It's a bitter blow to Manchester United and their transfer plans. Last month, it was reported that Erik ten Hag's side were 'close to agreeing' a £68 million deal to sign the Barcelona midfielder.
In fact, it was a move they wanted to wrap up by June 30 but after two rejected bids – including an offer of £56 million – both clubs have yet to strike a deal.
During the transfer unveiling of midfielder Franck Kessie on Wednesday afternoon, the 60-year-old delivered a clear message regarding the situation.
"Frenkie de Jong is a Barcelona player," he said. "We don’t want to sell him unless we have no other choice.
"Of course we know there are offers for De Jong," he added. "But we don’t want to sell him."
He said: “There are clubs that want him, not just United. We have no intention of selling him, he wants to stay.
“Frenkie is considered as one of the best midfielders in the world by all the experts. We are happy to have him.
“I’m going to do everything I can in my power so that Frenkie stays here, but there’s also a salary issue and that would have to be adjusted.”
Despite Laporta's public comments, Spanish journalist Gerard Romero believes the Catalan club are are holding out for closer to £64 million up front in addition to £10 million in add-ons and bonuses.
📺 DIRECTO @jijantesfc— Gerard Romero (@gerardromero) July 5, 2022
📁 De Jong:Xavi condiciona la salida de FDJ a la llegada de Bernardo Silva. La ultima oferta del ManU es de 65+22. Si llegan a los 75+12 el Barça aceptará. El jugador habla a diario con Ten Hag#jijantesfc #mercato
Más carpetas en https://t.co/ddsJTtAFRd
To put Ten Hag's interest into perspective, the Dutch manager was, at one stage, calling him 'every day' to discuss a possible move to Old Trafford.
And the midfielder was convinced after hearing his former manager's ambitious plans, say The Mirror.