Twitter Responds Calls For ID To Be Needed On Social Media After Abuse
| Last updated
Twitter have explained why they won't be requiring their users to have photo ID in order to create an account, after Willian was the latest player to reveal disgusting racist abuse.
Several high profile players have revealed the horrid racist abuse they've received on social media recently, whilst Mike Dean also stepped away from refereeing for a week after getting death threats.
On Friday, Arsenal's Willian took to Instagram to show the abuse that he'd got in his 'direct messages' following the Gunners' draw with Benfica in the Europa League on Thursday night.
The former Chelsea player called for 'something' to be changed on social media and many have said that users should have to use photo ID when signing up.
That way any abuse could be stopped as Twitter, Instagram and all the other platforms could easily report the users to the police.
However Twitter have now come out and explained why they won't be implementing the need for ID. "At Twitter, we are guided by our values, and never more so than when it comes to fundamental issues like identity," a statement said.
"We believe everyone has the right to share their voice without requiring a government ID to do so.
"Pseudonymity has been a vital tool for speaking out in oppressive regimes, it is no less critical in democratic societies. Pseudonymity may be used to explore your identity, to find support as victims of crimes, or to highlight issues faced by vulnerable communities.
"Indeed, many of the first voices to speak out on societal wrongdoings, have done so behind some degree of pseudonymity - once they do, their experience can encourage others to do the same, knowing they don't have to put their name to their experience if they're not comfortable doing so.
"Perhaps most fundamentally of all - some of the communities who may lack access to government IDs are exactly those who we strive to give a voice to on Twitter."
Anthony Martial, Marcus Rashford, Reece James and Alex Jankiewicz have also been amongst those targeted recently.
Anti racism campaigns were even more in the spotlight following last year's killing of George Floyd in America and football players have been taking the knee ahead of kick off since.
Brentford decided recently to no longer take the knee, believing it wasn't having an impact, and Crystal Palace forward Wilfried Zaha has decided to join them.
There has been 11 million recorded tweets about football in the UK since September, according to Sky Sports, with 5,000 of those being removed from the site for violating the companies rules.
"We are acutely aware that many high-profile users can, at times, be particularly vulnerable to abuse and harassment," Twitter's statement continued.
"As long as any one person is targeted with abusive behaviour on our service, our work will not be done.
"We will continue to challenge this abhorrent behaviour at source along with our football partners and other social media companies.
"We join our partners in condemning racism and we will continue to play our part in tackling this unacceptable behaviour - both online and offline. We want to reiterate - there is no room for racist abuse on Twitter."