sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Robinho told to serve nine-year prison sentence for rape in Brazil
Home>Football>Football News
Published 09:07 21 Mar 2024 GMT

Robinho told to serve nine-year prison sentence for rape in Brazil

Robinho was originally sentenced by an Italian court in 2017.

Ryan Smart

Ryan Smart

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Former Manchester City and Brazil star Robinho has been told by judges to serve a nine-year prison sentence in his home country after being convicted of rape.

In 2017, Robinho was sentenced by an Italian court in absentia to nine years in prison, after he was convicted of taking part in a group sexual assault of a 22-year-old Albanian woman in 2013.

The conviction was later upheld by Milan's Court of Appeals, and then upheld for a second time by Italy's top court in 2022.

Robinho currently lives in Santos, Brazil. The 40-year-old reportedly surrendered his passports to authorities in March 2023.

The Italian courts have been seeking imprisonment for Robinho in his home nation, as extraditing nationals is not allowed as part of Brazil's constitution.

Robinho playing for AC Milan (
Getty)

BBC have reported that a Brazilian court in the country's capital of Brasilia has ruled he should serve the sentence in Brazil.

Judges on Brazil's Superior Court of Justice voted 9-2 to validate Robinho's conviction.

It is added that Robinho can still appeal to his country's Supreme Court, and that his lawyer told the court at the beginning of Wednesday's hearing that his client wanted a retrial in Brazil 'on grounds of national sovereignity', as per Sky News.

He will remain free pending a possible appeal to the hearing, lawyers have said.

Robinho continues to deny wrongdoing, and told a Brazilian network on Sunday that the sex had been 'consensual'.

The Brazil striker was the most expensive signing in English football history when he joined Manchester City in the summer of 2009, shortly after the takeover of the club by Sheikh Mansour and the Abu Dhabi United Group.

After 14 goals in his first campaign, the striker had a disappointing second season and joined AC Milan in 2010.

He subsequently had spells with Santos, Atletico Mineiro and Guangzhou Evergrande, before two stints in Turkish football.

His final professional club was Santos, who announced the suspension of his contract just days after a sponsor complained about the player's signing. They stated that Robinho would 'focus exclusively on his defence'.

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Robinho, AC Milan, Manchester City, Brazil, Football

Ryan Smart
Ryan Smart

Live in constant hope of the top flight as a Preston North End fan. Written in the past for SPORF, GiveMeSport and more.

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Choose your content:

3 mins ago
an hour ago
2 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    3 mins ago

    Declan Rice has the coldest response to Arsenal’s first Premier League title win in 22 years

    Arsenal are the 2026 Premier League champions and Rice made sure to celebrate.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    an hour ago

    'I've studied Pep for a while' - Micah Richards reacts to Pep Guardiola's response to exit rumours

    Richards also said Manchester City's players went against the club's ethos as they surrendered the Premier League title to Arsenal.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Pep Guardiola responds to rumours he will leave Manchester City after Premier League title loss

    The Manchester City boss has finally broken his silence on the rumours.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    Mikel Arteta revealed exactly what he would be doing as Arsenal crowned Premier League champions

    The Gunners are the 2026 Premier League winners following Manchester City's draw with Bournemouth.

    Football