sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Matthijs de Ligt becomes first Bayern Munich player to speak out after VAR drama in Real Madrid game
Home>Football>Football News
Updated 23:05 8 May 2024 GMT+1Published 22:36 8 May 2024 GMT+1

Matthijs de Ligt becomes first Bayern Munich player to speak out after VAR drama in Real Madrid game

Bayern Munich were knocked out of the Champions League by Real Madrid.

Marcus Chan

Marcus Chan

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Matthijs de Ligt did not hold back when asked about the controversial offside call during Real Madrid vs Bayern Munich.

On Wednesday night, Carlo Ancelotti’s men produced a stunning late comeback to seal their place in the Champions League final at the expense of Bayern.

Substitute Joselu scored in the 88th and 91st minute to cancel out Alphonso Davies’ stunner for the Bavarian club.

Advert

Towards the end of stoppage time, De Ligt had the ball in the Madrid net but the linesman had already raised his flag, meaning VAR was not able to get involved.

Replays showed that the decision was closer than first thought and the Bayern players could have been onside on closer inspection.

Speaking after the match, De Ligt did not hold back.

As reported by Fabrizio Romano, who wrote on social media: “Matthijs de Ligt: “I don't want to say that Real Madrid always has the referees with them but that made the difference today.

“Real, when you think they are dead, have a last breath… that is why they have 14 Champions Leagues”, told Movistar.”


De Ligt then told beIN Sport: “The linesman told me: sorry, I made a mistake. It’s been a shame."

Speaking after his side’s victory, Madrid man Jude Bellingham said: “There have been a lot of times we have looked dead and buried, but we have that mentality of never say die.

“Joselu deserves it all, he has been an amazing squad member this season. There is a reason we turn around so many games, it's because of these lot [the fans]. They give you an energy you can't get from anything else.”

He added: “They talk about how they won the 14th, how they want the 15th. You can never be settled. The players feel like family, the fans feel like family.

“At Wembley, against Dortmund, it's a weird one, I can't believe it. When I was seven years old in Birmingham, I was dreaming of nights like this.”

Featured Image Credit: UEFA/TNT Sports

Topics: Matthijs De Ligt, Bayern Munich, Real Madrid, Football, Champions League

Marcus Chan
Marcus Chan

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

2 hours ago
4 hours ago
5 hours ago
6 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    Carlo Ancelotti announces 26-man Brazil World Cup squad as Neymar call made

    Brazil take on Morocco in their opening group match on June 13.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    4 hours ago

    Pep Guardiola to leave Manchester City after final game against Aston Villa as successor named

    Guardiola is expected to leave City after 10 seasons in charge.

    Football
  • Getty
    5 hours ago

    Croatia announce 26-man World Cup squad as decisions made on Modric and Gvardiol

    The European nation begin their tournament against England on June 17.

    Football
  • Getty
    6 hours ago

    Jamie Carragher reignites Mo Salah feud branding Liverpool man selfish live on MNF

    Salah demanded a return to 'heavy metal football' in an apparent parting swipe at Arne Slot

    Football
  • Matthijs de Ligt releases statement after not being seen in Man Utd squad for five months
  • Real Madrid fans demand player be dropped instantly after Bayern Munich disasterclass
  • Why every Bayern Munich player has to wear tape over their ear before games
  • The rule which means Bayern Munich were denied penalty vs PSG