• Football
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • Home
  • Football
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • Lionel Messi
    • Cristiano Ronaldo
    • EA FC 25
    • Wrexham
  • Boxing
    • Tyson Fury
    • Anthony Joshua
    • Oleksandr Usyk
    • Mike Tyson
    • Jake Paul
    • Logan Paul
  • UFC
    • Dana White
    • Conor McGregor
    • Khabib Nurmagomedov
    • Jon Jones
    • Paddy Pimblett
    • Joe Rogan
  • Other Sport
    • Athletics
    • Formula 1
    • MMA
    • Motorsport
    • NBA
    • Darts
    • NFL
    • Snooker
    • Wrestling
    • Tennis
    • Cricket
    • Golf
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • UNILAD
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Man Utd could lose Andre Onana for four matches this winter as Cameroon U-turn expected

Home> Football> Football News> Man Utd

Updated 19:04 23 Aug 2023 GMT+1Published 18:33 23 Aug 2023 GMT+1

Man Utd could lose Andre Onana for four matches this winter as Cameroon U-turn expected

Andre Onana could miss four United games.

Chris Byfield

Chris Byfield

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Manchester United are set to lose Andre Onana for four matches this winter, it has been claimed.

Onana has been among the few positives in United’s opening two games of the campaign.

The 27-year-old, who joined the Old Trafford club from Inter earlier this summer for a fee in the region of £45million, pulled off a string of impressive saves in United’s underwhelming 1-0 victory against Wolverhampton Wanderers and 2-0 defeat to Tottenham Hotspur.

However, United could be forced to endure a chunk of the season without the shot-stopper, with La Tanière reporting that Onana is set to return to the Cameroon fold for the September internationals.

Advert

The United star quit international football during last winter’s Qatar World Cup, leaving the competition after a disagreement with the manager Rigobert Song.

Yet should Onana return to the Cameroon setup he would likely be first-choice for Cameroon’s AFCON campaign, which takes place between January 13 and February 11, and miss up to four United games in the process.

If Cameroon reach the latter stages of the competition, Onana would be absent for United’s clashes with Tottenham, Wolves, West Ham and Aston Villa.

The initial explanation for Onana’s shock departure from the national team was that the keeper had been punished for unspecified disciplinary reasons.

However, it was soon claimed that Song took issue with Onana’s goalkeeping style.

Indeed, prominent football reporter Fabrizio Romano claimed that the Cameroon boss “insisted” on a “different style of goalkeeping” that was “more traditional” - something that Onana was unwilling to compromise on.

After the fallout Onana stepped down from international duty altogether, confirming his Cameroon retirement in a lengthy post on social media.

"I have put all my efforts and energy into finding solutions to a situation that a footballer often experiences, but there has been no will on the other side,'' Onana said. "Some moments are difficult to assimilate.''

He also said on social media: "Players come and go, names are fleeting, but Cameroon comes before any person or player. Cameroon remains eternal and so does my love for the national team.''

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Football, Andre Onana, Manchester United, Cameroon, Africa Cup Of Nations

Chris Byfield
Chris Byfield

Sport journalist with experience writing on football, rugby, boxing and the Olympics. I'm also a Crystal Palace fan. Please don't hold this against me.

Advert

Advert

Advert

Choose your content:

15 mins ago
an hour ago
3 hours ago
21 hours ago
  • Getty
    15 mins ago

    Zinedine Zidane reaches verbal agreement on return to football

    The Frenchman has been without a managerial role since leaving Real Madrid in May 2021.

    Football
  • Getty
    an hour ago

    Man Utd tipped to complete £160m raid on Premer League rival in 'monster' swoop

    United did not sign a single player in the winter transfer window, but may look to bolster their squad come this summer.

    Football
  • Getty
    3 hours ago

    Donald Trump makes huge decision impacting World Cup nations as White House speaks out

    The US President has made a controversial call ahead of the tournament.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    21 hours ago

    Wrexham transfer target ready to 'accept' move if they achieve Premier League promotion

    Several clubs are also said to be interested, including Aston Villa and Everton.

    Football
  • Fabrizio Romano reveals Man Utd in talks to sign wonderkid striker Dino Klapija
  • Former PL ref claims officials made second major error in Man Utd vs Wolves after Andre Onana blunder
  • Andre Onana turns into a midfielder before pinging defence-splitting pass, he is incredible
  • Andre Onana accused of being 'delusional' for comments made in interview after defeat vs Tottenham Hotspur