sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Sergio Aguero aims savage dig at Real Madrid after Rodri wins the Ballon d'Or instead of Vinicius Jr
Home>Football>Football News>Man City
Updated 15:43 29 Oct 2024 GMTPublished 15:42 29 Oct 2024 GMT

Sergio Aguero aims savage dig at Real Madrid after Rodri wins the Ballon d'Or instead of Vinicius Jr

The Former Man City and Barcelona star didn't hold back.

Ben McCrum

Ben McCrum

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Sergio Aguero has taken a brutal shot at Real Madrid after Manchester City midfielder Rodri won the 2024 Ballon d'Or on Monday night.

Manchester City midfielder Rodri shocked the world on Monday night after he was awarded the 2024 Ballon d'Or trophy at the ceremony in Paris.

After it was reported that he would not be winning the Ballon d'Or, Real Madrid's Vinicius Junior who was the favourite heading into the evening, decided to boycott the evening with his teammates.

And now, a clip of City legend Aguero reacting to Madrid's protest with a brutal dig has emerged online.

Advert

Madrid manager Carlo Ancelotti, club President Florentino Perez and nominated players Vinicius, Kylian Mbappe, Dani Carvajal, Jude Bellingham, Antonio Rudiger and Federico Valverde, stayed at home for the ceremony to show their outrage at the decision.

While watching Rodri win the award on a livestream from his Twitch channel, Aguero reportedly said: "Well deserved. Rodri is the best player in the World. Football is for everyone not just Real Madrid, they so entitled!”

The Argentinian striker's opinion comes as no surprise given that he played alongside the Spanish midfielder for two years at City before joining Madrid's fiercest rivals Barcelona.

Madrid's absence from the award ceremony in Paris meant that Ancelotti was not present when he was named manager of the year after winning the Men's Johan Cruyff Trophy winner and Mbappe was not there to stand with co-winner Harry Kane to accept the Gerd Muller trophy for the most prolific striker.

Sergio Augero joined Barcelona in 2021. (Image: Getty)
Sergio Augero joined Barcelona in 2021. (Image: Getty)

Furthermore, there were no club officials present to accept the award for the club of the year.

After confirming that they had been told the result of the Ballon d'Or ahead of the official announcement, Real Madrid officials reportedly told AS: "If the award criteria doesn't give it to Vinicius as the winner, then those same criteria should point to Carvajal as the winner. As this was not the case, it is clear that Ballon d'Or-UEFA does not respect Real Madrid. And Real Madrid does not go where it is not respected.”

Midfielder Eduardo Camavinga was the first Madrid player to speak out on the announcement, posting on X: "Football politics [cross emoji] My brother you are the best player in the world and no award can say otherwise. Love you my bro."

Featured Image Credit: SLAKUN10/Getty

Topics: Real Madrid, Sergio Aguero, Rodri, Ballon d'Or, Vinicius Junior, Manchester City, Barcelona, Football

Ben McCrum
Ben McCrum

Ben is a sports journalist who specialises in football, Formula One and MMA. He has written for publications such as Manchester Evening News, WiganToday, Manchester World and beIN Sports. Throughout his career, he has interviewed top athletes including Gareth Southgate, Luke Littler, Tom Aspinall and Jenson Button.

X

@benmcc14

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

  • Hansi Flick Aims Clear Dig at Real Madrid Ahead of Ballon d'Or Awards
  • Ronaldinho says it's 'unfair' one player has never won the Ballon d'Or in football history
  • Neymar fires savage five-word dig at Rodri after Ballon d'Or winner sends 'pay attention' warning to Vinicius Jr
  • Rodri aimed savage eight-word dig at Vinicius Jr during his Ballon d'Or acceptance speech

Choose your content:

9 mins ago
12 mins ago
2 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    9 mins ago

    Harry Maguire left 'shocked' by England World Cup snub as Thomas Tuchel 'strongly considers' surprise call up

    Tuchel will name his 26-man England squad on Friday.

    Football
  • Getty
    12 mins ago

    Xabi Alonso's response when asked about future of three Chelsea players on live TV

    New Chelsea boss Xabi Alonso discussed the situation of three players during an impromptu interview on live TV.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    Man Utd could spend £300m in the summer after securing Champions League football

    It is expected to be a busy summer at Old Trafford.

    Football
  • Getty
    2 hours ago

    Arsenal preparing shock bid to sign Man City player amid Pep Guardiola exit uncertainty

    Guardiola is expected to depart Man City at the end of the season following a decade in charge.

    Football