
A new behind-the-scenes documentary will give fans an insight into Kevin De Bruyne's emotional Manchester City departure during the penultimate season of Pep Guardiola's reign.
De Bruyne announced in April last year that he would leave City at the end of the 2024-25 campaign following 10 trophy-laden years.
The Belgian midfielder, who lifted six Premier League titles with the Citizens, as well as five League Cups, two FA Cups and a Champions League, was out of contract that summer and would go on to join Serie A side Napoli.
At the time of his previously mentioned announcement, De Bruyne mentioned that it was "time to say goodbye" after saying "whether we like it or not" - a claim that suggested he did not want to leave the Etihad.
Advert
In fact, that statement has been all-but-confirmed in a new four-part Amazon Prime Video documentary called 'A Beautiful Obsession'.
De Bruyne is said to have broken down in tears upon finding out that City had decided against renewing his contract, according to a report from the BBC, which suggests he also opened up about the impact on his family.

In the documentary, which will be released on Wednesday (August 19), an emotional Pep Guardiola described the decision he had to make in letting De Bruyne go.
"It kills me," says Guardiola in the documentary. "Without Kevin, that period - forget about it. He was crying here [in the office]. Oh God. I have affection for that player. We lived incredible things together. Then you have to be more cold."
READ MORE: Kevin De Bruyne believes Premier League denied him assist record that Bruno Fernandes now holds
A couple of weeks after De Bruyne's departure from City was confirmed, the midfielder admitted he was shocked not to receive a new contract offer.
"I have not had any offer the whole year, they just took a decision," he said after City's 2-0 win against Everton on April 19 last year.
"Obviously, I was a bit surprised but I just have to accept it. Honestly I still think I can perform at this level like I'm showing but I understand clubs have to make decisions.
"Maybe if the team didn't struggle and I came back like I did this year and bedded in like normal then maybe they take another decision."
He added: "I feel like I still have a lot to give. Obviously I know I'm not 25 any more but I still feel like I can do my job."
As mentioned above, De Bruyne completed a move to Napoli last summer. He struggled with injury across the 2025-26 campaign but notched five goals and four assists in 21 appearances under Antonio Conte.
Topics: Man City, Kevin De Bruyne, Pep Guardiola, Premier League