• Football
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • Home
  • Football
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • Lionel Messi
    • Cristiano Ronaldo
    • EA FC 25
    • Wrexham
  • Boxing
    • Tyson Fury
    • Anthony Joshua
    • Oleksandr Usyk
    • Mike Tyson
    • Jake Paul
    • Logan Paul
  • UFC
    • Dana White
    • Conor McGregor
    • Khabib Nurmagomedov
    • Jon Jones
    • Paddy Pimblett
    • Joe Rogan
  • Other Sport
    • Athletics
    • Formula 1
    • MMA
    • Motorsport
    • NBA
    • Darts
    • NFL
    • Snooker
    • Wrestling
    • Tennis
    • Cricket
    • Golf
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • UNILAD
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Joao Cancelo breaks silence on Pep Guardiola fallout and makes Man City transfer hint

Home> Football> Football News> Man City

Published 13:46 19 Mar 2024 GMT

Joao Cancelo breaks silence on Pep Guardiola fallout and makes Man City transfer hint

The City outcast has had his say.

Alex Brotherton

Alex Brotherton

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Joao Cancelo has spoken out on his bust-up with Pep Guardiola and dropped a huge hint about his Manchester City future.

Not too long ago Cancelo was one of City's most important players, but that all changed midway through last season when he lost his place in the starting XI and fell out with Guardiola.

The City boss and his staff became concerned that Cancelo's attitude was negatively affecting the dressing room, so the decision was made to loan him out for the rest of the season.

While City were busy winning the treble Cancelo spent time at Bayern Munich, before joining Barcelona on a season-long loan last summer.

Advert

Now the Portuguese star has for the first time opened up on his spat with Guardiola.

"There are things we didn't agree on, we're not obligated to agree on everything," Cancelo told Portuguese network RTP.

"I had things I didn't agree on or he didn't agree with something I said, it was just that.

"But I don't have resentment, I am very grateful. Life goes on, I am very, very happy here [at Barcelona]."

Cancelo said that he is "where I always wanted to be," admitting that he doesn't want to return to City at the end of the season.

"At the moment they [Barcelona] haven't told me anything, but I hope I can stay. I'm doing everything to make that happen.

Joao Cancelo in action for Barcelona. Image: Getty
Joao Cancelo in action for Barcelona. Image: Getty

"I really want to play for Benfica, really, but I want to play two or three more years here.

"Although we have financial problems, I am delighted to be here. After Benfica, it is the club that I always liked.

"Pepe told me many times that I was a player for Real Madrid, but I told him that it was for Barcelona. The truth is that I am where I always wanted to be."

Cancelo's admission that he wants to end his career at Benfica echoes comments from Bernardo Silva, who on Monday said he wants to return to the club where he began his career.

Cancelo took a wage cut to join Barcelona on loan, and with three years remaining on his City contract, it could take a hefty fee for him to leave Manchester on a permanent basis.

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Manchester City, Joao Cancelo, Pep Guardiola, Premier League, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Manchester City Transfer News & Rumours

Alex Brotherton
Alex Brotherton

Alex Brotherton is a journalist at SPORTbible. He has previously worked with publications including the Manchester Evening News, GOAL and BBC Sport. He is a football fanatic, but also dabbles in tennis and American football. He can often be found watching dreadful non-league football.

X

@alex_brotherton

Advert

Advert

Advert

Choose your content:

4 hours ago
5 hours ago
  • X
    4 hours ago

    Kylian Mbappe gives explosive interview as he reveals alleged racist comment

    The Real Madrid star has revealed the alleged comment made towards Vinicius Junior during the Champions League match.

    Football
  • Getty/ Amazon Prime
    4 hours ago

    Jose Mourinho slammed for comments on Vini Jr incident as pundits left speechless

    The Benfica boss has revealed exactly what he said to Vinicius Junior following the alleged racist incident.

    Football
  • Getty
    4 hours ago

    Trent Alexander-Arnold speaks out on Vini Jr incident as Brazilian issues statement

    The Real Madrid right-back spoke to Amazon Prime after an eventful night in Lisbon.

    Football
  • Prime Video
    5 hours ago

    Gianluca Prestianni takes immediate action following incident with Vini Jr

    The Benfica winger was involved in an incident with the Real Madrid man during the second half of the Champions League play-off first leg.

    Football
  • Pep Guardiola Confirms Man City Will Write To EFL Demanding Rule Change
  • Pep Guardiola Bombshell Drops as Man City Reach Carabao Cup Final
  • Man City 'decide' next manager after Pep Guardiola with clear favourite for job
  • Pep Guardiola 'approves' Man City bid for Real Madrid player who will fix their biggest problem position