
Former Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher has revealed that he was 'not surprised' by Mohamed Salah's scathing review of Liverpool's season.
Liverpool were beaten 4-2 by Aston Villa on Friday, a result that sent Villa back into the Champions League and left Liverpool with work to do to join them just a year after winning the Premier League title.
The Reds second season under Arne Slot has been a disappointment and Salah, whose own form has dipped significantly since he agreed a new contract at Anfield, fired a parting shot at the team's style of play under the Dutch boss.
It was the second significant public complaint from the Egyptian winger, who criticised Slot after he was left out of the Liverpool team in the lead-up to the Africa Cup of Nations.
Advert
"Us crumbling to yet another defeat this season was very painful and not what our fans deserve. I want to see Liverpool go back to being the heavy metal attacking team that opponents fear and back to being a team that wins trophies. That is the football I know how to play and that is the identity that needs to be recovered and kept for good," Salah posted on Instagram in between his last two games for Liverpool.
Carragher told Sky Sports on Monday that Salah's latest outburst had been coming.
"I'm not surprised," said the former Red and Sky pundit.
"I told everybody, 'something else will come before the end of the season. He'll drop another bomb a little bit like Ronaldo did on the way out of Manchester United'. I thought it may come after the end of the season when he'd moved on, but no.
"Less than two years ago, I called him selfish for doing an interview and I think that rings true again. Liverpool have a really important week. They are still not fully qualified for the Champions League and it should be about Liverpool FC, not Salah FC."
Salah's comments have been divisive
While many fans have commented online in support of the two-time Premier League winner, a host of former professionals have condemned Salah for the timing of his diatribe, if not the substance.
Ex-Manchester United pair Gary Neville and Wayne Rooney have both criticised the 33-year-old, who will leave Anfield after Liverpool's home game against Brentford on Sunday.
Carragher has joined former Liverpool defender Steve Nicol in questioning the appropriateness of Salah's late-season critique while there's still a Champions League place up for grabs.
Liverpool are in fifth place with three points left to play for and are the only team left in the Champions League fight that would cannot benefit from Villa winning the Europa League final on Wednesday.
The Reds are the only team that can overtake Villa into fourth. If they fail to do so, a Villa win in Istanbul will not open the Champions League door for the team in sixth place.
Topics: Liverpool, Jamie Carragher, Mohamed Salah, Football