To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Football fans are only just realising why Italy play in blue despite it not being a colour on their flag

Football fans are only just realising why Italy play in blue despite it not being a colour on their flag

Italy will play in blue at Euro 2024 despite the colour not being featured on their flag.

Italy will be playing in blue for Euro 2024, but why do the Azzurri wear that specific colour despite it not featuring on their flag?

Luciano Spalletti's side are the defending champions for the showpiece and successfully progressed to the knockout stages of the competition at the expense of Croatia and Albania in Group B.

Their blue Adidas kit will be in use throughout this summer's tournament with the colour having been in use since their early international matches in the early 1910s.

Their first kit, worn for an international friendly against France in 1910, was all-white - but only because the country's football federation had yet to decide on an official colour.

The real reason behind the wearing of the colour blue, as per multiple sources, is to honour the Italian House of Savoy, the country's Royal Family, which was in place when Italy was unified back in 1861.

The future of the Royal Family was the subject of a constitutional referendum after World War II, and it was succeeded by the Italian Republic in 1946.

A total of 54.27 per cent of people voted for a republic, with the other 45.73 per cent voting for the retention of the monarchy. The south of Italy was largely in favour of the monarchy, with the north of Italy largely in favour of the republic.

Still, the blue kit remained - despite Italy's flag being green, white and red and the country no longer having a Royal Family.

Image: Getty
Image: Getty

The official shade is known as 'savoy azure', with the nation's Azzurri nickname literally standing for 'Blues'.

Italy did move away from their 'savoy azure' roots in 2004, however.

In Marcelo Lippi's first match in charge, an away fixture in Iceland, Italy and Puma unveiled an all-navy blue kit.

It was worn once and then never again - prompting questions over why it was worn in the first place.

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Italy, Euro 2024