• Football
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • Home
  • Football
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • Lionel Messi
    • Cristiano Ronaldo
    • EA FC 25
    • Wrexham
  • Boxing
    • Tyson Fury
    • Anthony Joshua
    • Oleksandr Usyk
    • Mike Tyson
    • Jake Paul
    • Logan Paul
  • UFC
    • Dana White
    • Conor McGregor
    • Khabib Nurmagomedov
    • Jon Jones
    • Paddy Pimblett
    • Joe Rogan
  • Other Sport
    • Athletics
    • Formula 1
    • MMA
    • Motorsport
    • NBA
    • Darts
    • NFL
    • Snooker
    • Wrestling
    • Tennis
    • Cricket
    • Golf
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • UNILAD
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Chaos as Fenerbahce players walk off pitch after Galatasaray goal one minute into cup final

Home> Football> Football News

Updated 20:18 7 Apr 2024 GMT+1Published 19:58 7 Apr 2024 GMT+1

Chaos as Fenerbahce players walk off pitch after Galatasaray goal one minute into cup final

Fenerbahce players walked off the pitch in protest against Galatasaray in the Turkish Super Cup final.

Josh Lawless

Josh Lawless

Featured Image Credit: ATV

Topics: Fenerbahce, Galatasaray

Josh Lawless
Josh Lawless

Josh is a sports journalist who specialises in football and WWE. He has been published by Curzon Ashton FC, Late Tackle, Manchester City FC, The Mirror, Read Man City and Manchester Evening News. He provides coverage of professional wrestling and has covered two WrestleMania events for SPORTbible.

X

@joshlawless_

Advert

Advert

Advert

Chaos ensued in the Turkish Super Cup final as Fenerbahce players walked off the pitch after playing just one minute against Galatasaray.

The pair of Istanbul giants met at the Sanliurfa 11 Nisan Stadium but Fenerbahce fielded their Under 19 side in a huge protest.

The game was initially pencilled in for a meeting in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia back in December but was called off due to the host nation not approving of planned honouring of Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, the first president of Turkey.

In addition to fans having banners, players wanted to wear t-shirts with his face on it and when this wasn't allowed the game was called off.

The fixture was rearranged for Sunday but according to Goal, Fenerbahce were left furious as they have a Europa Conference League quarter-final against Olympiacos this Thursday.

Their request, which also included to have foreign officials, was not met and so they decided to field their youth team for the clash and let assistant manager Zeki Murat Gole take charge.

Advert

Mauro Icardi scored inside a minute, which led to Fenerbahce players walking off the pitch.

Galatasaray celebrated with fans and then began playing against their reserve side to ensure it wasn't a complete waste of their time.

The Turkish football federation will have the final decision on the matter, TV coverage states.

The boycott had been confirmed beforehand by Erol Bilecik, who told fans not to attend the game.

Advert

He also stated that they have requested to not compete in the Turkish Cup for the next two seasons.

As per a statement, Bilecik said: "We have decided not to participate in the Turkish Cup for 2 seasons starting from next season.

"We will make all necessary applications to the TFF immediately after the holiday. We have decided not to participate in the Turkish Cup for the next 2 seasons."

Image: Getty
Image: Getty

Advert

Only recently Fenerbahce threatened to withdraw from the Turkish Super Lig after their players were attacked by Trabzonspor fans.

Michy Batshuayi was seen attempting to spin kick a fan, while Nigeria international Bright Osayi-Samuel appeared to punch a supporter who entered the field of play.

Choose your content:

an hour ago
2 hours ago
  • GettyGetty
    an hour ago

    Chelsea omitted from British Super League plans as full list of 13 teams emerges

    Chelsea recently became world champions after winning the FIFA Club World Cup.

    Football
  • Getty ImagesGetty Images
    an hour ago

    Alejandro Garnacho criticised for incident in stands just seven minutes into Chelsea vs Fulham game

    Garnacho was at Stamford Bridge on Saturday afternoon.

    Football
  • Getty ImagesGetty Images
    an hour ago

    Andre Onana's Man Utd career hits new low as brutal reason Premier League club rejected transfer emerges

    Andre Onana's Man Utd career appears to have sunk to a new low after he was rejected by a Premier League club for a brutal reason.

    Football
  • GettyGetty
    2 hours ago

    Fans call referee's two-word explanation for VAR interference during Chelsea vs Fulham the 'worst in Premier League history'

    Premier League fans took to social media to call out what they thought was a refereeing mistake during Chelsea vs Fulham.

    Football
  • Galatasaray and Fenerbahce have a squad straight out of FIFA career mode
  • European giant threatens to withdraw from their domestic league after players attacked
  • European giant threatens to withdraw from their domestic league after players attacked