sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Cristiano Ronaldo linked with shock bid for massive club amid rumours of backing from Saudi royal family
Home>Football>Football News
Published 14:00 4 Apr 2025 GMT+1

Cristiano Ronaldo linked with shock bid for massive club amid rumours of backing from Saudi royal family

Ronaldo has previously stated his intention to buy a football club.

Ryan Smart

Ryan Smart

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Cristiano Ronaldo has been linked with launching a takeover bid for an elite football club amid reported backing by the Saudi Arabia royal family.

Ronaldo, who turned 40 in February, is now in the twilight years of his career playing for Saudi Pro League side Al Nassr.

He is said to be keen to play in the 2026 World Cup next summer, which is being hosted by the United States, Canada and Mexico.

The Portugal legend will be 41 by then, and could choose that tournament to bow out of professional football.

Advert

Speaking to Canal 11 earlier this year, Ronaldo stated his desire to move into football club ownership when he does eventually retire.

On Thursday, former Premier League midfielder Andy Townsend tipped him to make a move to purchase Wrexham and work alongside Hollywood stars Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney.

But a new report has linked him to another even more surprising club.

Mundo Deportivo's Julian Redondo claims that Ronaldo is set to become the next owner of Valencia if they stay in La Liga under Carlos Corberan.

It has even been claimed that he could be supported by the Saudi royal family.

Valencia have won the Spanish top division title twice in the 2000s, in 2001 and 2003, and were regular finishers inside the top four until the past five years.

A decline has since set in, largely due to the sales of key players and a subsequent lack of investment into the squad from the club's ownership.

The latest round of Valencia fan protests against Peter Lim. The past year has seen their absentee owner continue to asset-strip the club with inevitable results. Fans are angry and fed up. pic.twitter.com/hDQ0aGJNgl

— Colin Millar (@Millar_Colin) May 8, 2021

Relegation looked a significant possibility around Christmas, but the club's appointment of Corberan from West Brom on Christmas Eve has helped to turn their form around.

Valencia have won five of their last 10 games under the Spaniard, though still only sit four points clear of the bottom three.

The club are currently owned by Singapore billionaire Peter Lim, who was the majority owner of League One side Salford City until 2024 when his stake was purchased by Gary Neville.

It is worth noting that, despite Redondo's claims, any link between Ronaldo and Valencia appears to be simply speculation at present.

The Spanish club recently started renovation work on their Mestalla Stadium - work which had been paused for 16 years - and secured a long-term debt refinancing agreement worth a combined €186 million to complete that renovation.

And in March, a spokesperson for Lim told media outlets in Singapore that, despite heavy pressure from supporters, he would not be putting Valencia up for sale in the near future.

Meriton Holdings, the holding company of Lim's stake in Valencia, stated: "Meriton wants to make it clear that such reports [regarding a sale] are false.

"Valencia CF is not up for sale and it remains committed to Valencia CF."

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Cristiano Ronaldo, Football, La Liga, Saudi Arabia

Ryan Smart
Ryan Smart

Live in constant hope of the top flight as a Preston North End fan. Written in the past for SPORF, GiveMeSport and more.

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

7 hours ago
8 hours ago
10 hours ago
11 hours ago
  • Liverpool FC/Getty
    7 hours ago

    ‘That’s never going to happen to me again’: Mo Salah’s darkest moment explained by fellow Liverpool legend

    This almost broke the Egyptian.

    Football
  • Eddie Keogh/Stringer/Getty
    8 hours ago

    Pep Guardiola praised after speaking about the one regret he's ‘hid deep inside for many years'

    The Manchester City man still thinks about it.

    Football
  • Getty
    10 hours ago

    Jose Mourinho ready to axe TEN Real Madrid players including unthinkable name

    Mourinho is willing to sanction the sales of a host of Real Madrid stars - with some more surprising inclusions than others.

    Football
  • Getty
    11 hours ago

    Man Utd 'close in' on £140m double transfer including player Michael Carrick 'specifically wants'

    Michael Carrick was officially unveiled as United's new permanent head coach on Friday, having signed a two-year contract.

    Football
  • Cristiano Ronaldo Has Already Dropped Man Utd Takeover Hint Amid Saudi Rumours
  • Cristiano Ronaldo Reveals the One 'Terrible' Thing About Life in Saudi Arabia
  • Cristiano Ronaldo left 'in tears' after unthinkable scenario plays out in Al Nassr game
  • Jhon Duran was left 'confused' about following strict Saudi Arabia law which Cristiano Ronaldo was allowed to bypass