sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Chelsea drop two names from hunt for next manager as 'mystery' coach added to four-man shortlist
Home>Football>Football News>Chelsea
Updated 15:45 23 May 2024 GMT+1Published 15:21 23 May 2024 GMT+1

Chelsea drop two names from hunt for next manager as 'mystery' coach added to four-man shortlist

Chelsea have reportedly narrowed down their manager shortlist to four names.

Josh Lawless

Josh Lawless

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Chelsea have reportedly dropped candidates to settle on a four-man managerial shortlist which includes a "mystery coach".

The Blues parted company with Mauricio Pochettino after just one season at Stamford Bridge, with the decision announced on Tuesday night.

In a topsy-turvy, inconsistent campaign, Pochettino guided Chelsea to a sixth-placed finish in the Premier League after a strong end to the season.

But the club are now looking for another manager under Todd Boehly's ownership.

Advert

A slew of names have been linked with the vacancy but a new report from The Telegraph claims that it has been whittled down to four.

Sporting directors Paul Winstanley and Laurence Stewart are leading the search but an update suggests they are hopeful of appointing a new manager before June rolls around.

Sebastian Hoeness and Michel of Stuttgart and Girona were previously in the conversation but are now understood to have been removed from the shortlist.

Enzo Maresca, Kieran McKenna and Thomas Frank are still well in the frame, while there is also another candidate who is not yet known.

Image: Getty
Image: Getty

The aforementioned trio all have plenty of admirers within the Chelsea hierarchy and it's said all would be willing to take job despite the recent predicament at Stamford Bridge.

Maresca has links to Chelsea as he worked with head of recruitment Joe Shields at City, where he also coached Cole Palmer and Romeo Lavia in his time as Under 23's boss.

He has just guided Leicester City back into the Premier League with a stunning title-winning season in the Championship.

The former Parma boss is believed to have an £8.5 million release clause in his contract.

The club want a manager who places emphasis on attractive football but at the time of writing there is not yet a clear favourite for the position.

Image: Getty
Image: Getty

Pochettino, who has been tipped to manage in the Saudi Pro League, issued a brief statement on his departure.

He said: “Thank you to the Chelsea ownership group and Sporting Directors for the opportunity to be part of this football club's history. The club is now well positioned to keep moving forward in the Premier League and Europe in the years to come.”

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Chelsea, Mauricio Pochettino

Josh Lawless
Josh Lawless

Josh is a sports journalist who specialises in football and WWE. He has been published by Curzon Ashton FC, Late Tackle, Manchester City FC, The Mirror, Read Man City and Manchester Evening News. He provides coverage of professional wrestling and has covered two WrestleMania events for SPORTbible.

X

@joshlawless_

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

an hour ago
2 hours ago
  • Getty
    an hour ago

    Scotland announce 26-man squad for first World Cup in 28 years

    Scotland's squad for the World Cup has been confirmed.

    Football
  • Getty
    an hour ago

    What Joao Pedro did for Brazil teammates who were picked in World Cup squad over him

    Joao Pedro was a surprise omission from Brazil's World Cup squad, with Neymar getting selected ahead of him.

    Football
  • Liverpool/Adidas
    an hour ago

    Liverpool drop major transfer hint in new home kit launch

    Liverpool have released their new home kit

    Football
  • The Overlap - Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    Roy Keane tears Bruno Fernandes to shreds over what he said in interview after Nottingham Forest game

    Fernandes equalled the Premier League record for most assists recorded in a season, but Keane was far from impressed.

    Football
  • Mauricio Pochettino convinced player to join Chelsea on 'phone call' shortly before being axed by club
  • Chelsea fans think they know who their next manager will be after spotting visitor to training ground
  • Enzo Maresca already knows two Chelsea players he will build team around if he replaces Mauricio Pochettino
  • Chelsea star takes to Instagram to voice frustration at Mauricio Pochettino's sudden departure