• Football
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • Home
  • Football
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • Lionel Messi
    • Cristiano Ronaldo
    • EA FC 25
    • Wrexham
  • Boxing
    • Tyson Fury
    • Anthony Joshua
    • Oleksandr Usyk
    • Mike Tyson
    • Jake Paul
    • Logan Paul
  • UFC
    • Dana White
    • Conor McGregor
    • Khabib Nurmagomedov
    • Jon Jones
    • Paddy Pimblett
    • Joe Rogan
  • Other Sport
    • Athletics
    • Formula 1
    • MMA
    • Motorsport
    • NBA
    • Darts
    • NFL
    • Snooker
    • Wrestling
    • Tennis
    • Cricket
    • Golf
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • UNILAD
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Chelsea cut Conor Gallagher's holiday short to inform boyhood fan he's no longer wanted at the club

Home> Football> Football News> Chelsea

Updated 17:05 2 Aug 2024 GMT+1Published 16:56 2 Aug 2024 GMT+1

Chelsea cut Conor Gallagher's holiday short to inform boyhood fan he's no longer wanted at the club

Gallagher has been banished from the first-team squad.

Jack Kenmare

Jack Kenmare

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Chelsea have informed Conor Gallagher that he will not train with the first-team squad when they return from their tour of the United States on Monday.

Gallagher, who joined Chelsea at the age of eight, was one of the club's standout performers under Mauricio Pochettino last season, starting 37 Premier League games as captain.

He earned his place in Gareth Southgate's final 26-man squad for Euro 2024 and featured in four games for England, including their dramatic semi-final win over the Netherlands.

But ahead of the new Premier League campaign, Gallagher's future at Stamford Bridge has been plunged into doubt.

Advert

The midfielder, 24, has turned down two contract offers from Chelsea, including a two-year extension, as he takes issue with the length of the deals.

In short, he wants a contract that reflects his current status. Mykhailo Mudryk, Enzo Fernandez and Moises Caicedo, for example, are all tied down to eight-year contracts.

A number of clubs have expressed an interest in the player this summer, including Champions League-bound Aston Villa.

In fact, SPORTbible understands Villa expressed their interest in June and a club-record deal with Chelsea was agreed, but Gallagher turned down the move.

Chelsea have also accepted an offer from La Liga side Atletico Madrid, worth around £33 million, although it seems the ball is very much in Gallagher's court as he assesses his options.

It must be noted that the 25-year-old is open to staying at Chelsea should he be offered a longer term deal.

But there are concerns from Chelsea as they don't expect him to be a regular starter under Enzo Maresca, who recently added Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall to his squad on a six-year deal.

Chelsea, meanwhile, appear intent on cashing in on Gallagher if they can't agree terms, as they don't want to lose him on a free transfer in 2025.

Image credit: Getty
Image credit: Getty

Earlier this week, Chelsea head coach Maresca admitted that Gallagher could leave Stamford Bridge, conceding that "anything could happen" this summer.

"At the moment, Conor will be back with us at Cobham," Maresca said. "He will be in Cobham in the next days. If the transfer window is open, anything can happen. Not only for Conor but for all of the players."

Back in June, Gallagher opened up on the prospect of working under their new manager.

"We want to get Chelsea back to where they belong. So hopefully with the new manager we can start to progress and get to where we belong," he said.

Featured Image Credit: Getty Images

Topics: Conor Gallagher, Chelsea, Chelsea Transfer News & Rumours, Transfers, Aston Villa

Jack Kenmare
Jack Kenmare

Jack Kenmare is the Senior Journalist for SPORTbible, one of the world’s biggest social publishers. He specialises in long-form feature writing and has an encyclopedic knowledge of Football Manager wonderkids from 2005 to the present day. He has a BA (Hons) in Journalism and News Practice.

X

@jackkenmare_

Advert

Advert

Advert

Choose your content:

2 mins ago
5 mins ago
2 hours ago
3 hours ago
  • Getty
    2 mins ago

    European giants 'make approach' for Erling Haaland as likely destination revealed

    The Manchester City forward is currently contracted to the Premier League side until 2034.

    Football
  • Getty
    5 mins ago

    Pubs allowed to stay open until 2am during World Cup under one condition

    Pubs have been given the green light to say open till late during this summer's World Cup.

    Football
  • Getty
    2 hours ago

    Donald Trump issues World Cup nation 10-day ultimatum before tournament

    The 2026 FIFA World Cup will take place across the US, Mexico and Canada.

    Football
  • Getty
    3 hours ago

    Man City 115 charges 'conspiracy theory' revealed by ex-Liverpool director

    Manchester City are still awaiting a verdict on the 115 charges, which began with accusations made in February 2023.

    Football
  • Chelsea Agree Deal For 'Bomb Squad' Player to Leave Club Immediately
  • Shock Premier League club 'join race' to sign Emiliano Martinez as Man Utd decision made
  • Liverpool And Chelsea in Talks Over Club Record Deal Ahead of Deadline Day
  • Emi Martinez 'receives shock offer' from Premier League club in summer transfer no-one thought was possible