sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
UEFA release official statement on Vini Jr and Gianluca Prestianni allegations
Home>Football>Football News>Champions League
Updated 09:36 18 Feb 2026 GMTPublished 08:38 18 Feb 2026 GMT

UEFA release official statement on Vini Jr and Gianluca Prestianni allegations

Vinicius Jr told the referee that Gianluca Prestianni made a racist comment to him in Real Madrid's win over Benfica.

Josh Lawless

Josh Lawless

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

UEFA have issued a statement after Vinicius Jr accused a Benfica player of making a racist comment to him in Tuesday night's Champions League clash.

The Brazilian scored the only goal of the game in Real's first leg play-off win in Lisbon but was yellow carded shortly after due to an excessive celebration.

With the teams preparing for the game to resume with kick-off, Vini Jr sprinted over to the referee and claimed that he had been the subject of a racist remark from Gianluca Prestianni, who had his mouth covered with his shirt.

Official Francois Letexier activated anti-racism protocol and a 10-minute stoppage ensued.

Advert

Kylian Mbappe alleged that he heard Prestianni use the word "m****y" and called him UEFA to ban Prestianni, with the Argentine denying he used any type of racist language in a statement.

In a post on Instagram, the 20-year-old claimed Vinicius "regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard".

The game was delayed for around 10 minutes. Image: Getty
The game was delayed for around 10 minutes. Image: Getty

UEFA have responded, confirming that the reviewing of reports from Tuesday night's games is still ongoing. Any potential disciplinary sanctions will be announced on UEFA's official website.

"The official reports from the matches played last night are currently being reviewed," UEFA said.

"Where matters are reported, proceedings are opened and should they lead to disciplinary sanctions being imposed, they are announced on the UEFA disciplinary website.

"We have no further information to provide you or any further comment to make on this matter at this stage."

Vinicius has encountered racist abuse throughout his career and the incident led to him being struck on the shoulder by an object thrown from the stands.

Mourinho and Benfica court controversy for response

Trent Alexander-Arnold branded the incident a "disgrace to football", while Benfica boss Jose Mourinho disappointed fans with his Amazon Prime post-match interview as he addressed the situation.

The Portuguese revealed he told Vinicius that he did not celebrate in a respectful manner and that "the biggest person [Eusebio] in the history of this club was black".

He also revealed both players told him "different things" but that he wanted to "be an independent" regarding the matter.

But Benfica have also caused an almighty stir with their response to the allegations on social media. On X, the club shared footage from the stands of the moment the alleged comment and Vinicius approaching the referee.

In a comment, the club said: "As the images demonstrate, given the distance, the Real Madrid players could not have heard what they claim to have heard."

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: UEFA, Vinicius Jr, Benfica, Real Madrid

Josh Lawless
Josh Lawless

Josh is a sports journalist who specialises in football and WWE. He has been published by Curzon Ashton FC, Late Tackle, Manchester City FC, The Mirror, Read Man City and Manchester Evening News. He provides coverage of professional wrestling and has covered two WrestleMania events for SPORTbible.

X

@joshlawless_

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

an hour ago
2 hours ago
  • Getty
    an hour ago

    Southampton take drastic action on Tonda Eckert after spygate scandal

    Southampton were expelled from the Championship play-off final

    Football
  • Getty
    an hour ago

    Gabriel Magalhaes takes aim at viral Man City fan after winning Premier League

    Gabriel Magalhaes couldn't help but react on Instagram after becoming a Premier League champion on Tuesday night.

    Football
  • Getty & Instagram/@bukayosaka87
    2 hours ago

    Bukayo Saka sends message directly to Arsenal rivals after winning Premier League

    Bukayo Saka addressed those who laughed at Arsenal after finally becoming a Premier League winner.

    Football
  • Getty
    2 hours ago

    Two Arsenal players aren't guaranteed Premier League winners medal after title win

    Arsenal have won a first Premier League title in 22 years but two senior players haven't reached the required amount of appearances.

    Football
  • Thierry Henry delivers emotional speech on incident between Vini Jr and Gianluca Prestianni
  • Gianluca Prestianni facing huge 'minimum ban' as UEFA announce suspension
  • UEFA issue new statement on Gianluca Prestianni ban hours before Real Madrid match
  • Gianluca Prestianni takes immediate action following incident with Vini Jr