
Jose Mourinho has come under fire for his controversial post-match comments after Vinicius Junior suffered alleged racist abuse during the Champions League match against Benfica.
On Tuesday night, Benfica welcomed Real Madrid to the Estadio da Luz in Lisbon for what promised to be an exciting Champions League clash.
However, what was a fantastic match of football has been overshadowed by a moment following Real Madrid star Vinicius Junior's goal in the second half.
Shortly after opening the scoring, the Brazilian sprinted over to referee Francois Letexier to report that he had been subject to racist abuse, allegedly from a Benfica player.
Advert
And now, Benfica manager Mourinho has addressed the incident in a controversial interview that has caused huge backlash online.

Immediately after the incident occurred, Mourinho seen approaching Vinicius and other members of the Real Madrid staff to speak to them about the moment.
The Portuguese manager spent some time speaking to the Brazilian about the incident, which allegedly involved a comment made by Benfica forward Gianluca Prestianni who was seen covering his mouth with his shirt as he approached Vinicius moments before the report was made.
Now, Mourinho has spoken out to reveal exactly what he said to Vinicius, explaining that he told the Real Madrid forward that his celebration after scoring the goal was not respectful and that it had created tension.
Speaking to Amazon Prime, he said: "These talents are able to do these beautiful things, but unfortunately he [Vinicius Junior] was not just happy to score that astonishing goal.
"When you score a goal like that, you celebrate in a respectful way."
Asked to clarify if he was saying that the celebration had incited the crowd and Benfica's players, he replied: "Yes. I believe so. Then the words that they exchange Gianluca Prestianni with Vinicius I want to be an independent."
When asked further to address the alleged racist comments, Mourinho added: "I saw two completely different things. I want to be independent, and I don't comment about it. I told him [Vinicius] exactly that.
"I told him when you score a goal like that you just celebrate and walk back. When he was arguing about racism, I told him the biggest person [Eusebio] in the history of this club was black.
"This club, the last thing that it is, is racist. If in his mind there was something in relation to that – this in Benfica. They [Vinicius and Gianluca Prestianni] told me different things. But I don't believe in one or another. I want to be an independent."
Perhaps most controversial, was Mourinho's comments that it appears that anytime Vinicius Jr plays there is an allegation of racism.
Mourinho said: "There is something wrong because it happens in every stadium.
"A stadium where Vinicius plays something happens, always.
"Look, I am saying it was a good 50 minutes of football. I believe millions of people are watching around the world – a crazy goal and then game over."

Reacting to the interview, one fan wrote on social media: "Jose Mourinho has disappointed me SEVERELY tonight. This post match interview is disgusting."
While another added: "Fairs we know what type of man Mourinho is now. The irony too, JOSE MOURINHO talking about provoking 60k fans."
Immediately after the interview, Wayne Rooney and Theo Walcott echoed the fan's comments, saying that they were disappointed to hear Mourinho's comments.
Meanwhile Clarence Seedorf added that there was nothing correct that Mourinho could have said following the incident and that he should have instead stayed in the dressing room post-match.
Topics: Jose Mourinho, Vinicius Junior, Racism, Benfica, Real Madrid, Champions League, Football