• Football
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • Home
  • Football
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • Lionel Messi
    • Cristiano Ronaldo
    • EA FC 25
    • Wrexham
  • Boxing
    • Tyson Fury
    • Anthony Joshua
    • Oleksandr Usyk
    • Mike Tyson
    • Jake Paul
    • Logan Paul
  • UFC
    • Dana White
    • Conor McGregor
    • Khabib Nurmagomedov
    • Jon Jones
    • Paddy Pimblett
    • Joe Rogan
  • Other Sport
    • Athletics
    • Formula 1
    • MMA
    • Motorsport
    • NBA
    • Darts
    • NFL
    • Snooker
    • Wrestling
    • Tennis
    • Cricket
    • Golf
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • UNILAD
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Jose Mourinho lashes out at UEFA as Fenerbahce narrowly avoid Champions League humiliation

Home> Football> Football News> Champions League

Published 11:25 24 Jul 2024 GMT+1

Jose Mourinho lashes out at UEFA as Fenerbahce narrowly avoid Champions League humiliation

Jose Mourinho saw his side narrowly avoid humiliation in the Champions League.

Alex Brotherton

Alex Brotherton

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Jose Mourinho lashed out at UEFA after Fenerbahce narrowly avoided defeat in the Champions League.

Mourinho returned to club management this summer by taking over at Turkish giants Fenerbahce, and on Tuesday he sat in the dugout for his first competitive match.

He oversaw a thrilling 4-3 win away at Swiss side Lugano in the second qualifying round of the UEFA Champions League, with former Manchester City, Roma and Inter Milan striker Edin Dzeko netting a 21-minute hat-trick.

Fenerbahce fell behind in the fourth minute, and were then pegged back after taking the lead when Lugano equalised with 25 minutes left to play.

Advert

Mourinho's blushes were spared when Dzeko completed his hat-trick and Turkey star Ferdi Kadioglu added a fourth, although the hosts did pull a goal back in injury-time.

Fenerbahce's slack defensive performance gave Mourinho plenty to think about, but it wasn't just his players he wasn't happy with.

After the match the 61-year-old criticised UEFA for allowing Champions League games to be played on synthetic pitches, as was the case at the Stockhorn Arena in Thun.

"We tried not to make excuses before the match, but playing quality football on a synthetic pitch is a challenge," he said.

"The ball doesn’t move as it should, players struggle to dribble, and the game's pace slows significantly. I can’t fathom why UEFA permits Champions League matches on synthetic surfaces.

Jose Mourinho was not happy with UEFA [Getty]
Jose Mourinho was not happy with UEFA [Getty]

"It’s also perplexing why a good team like Lugano would choose to play on such a pitch. It wasn’t ideal for the game."

On his side's performance, Mourinho said: "A seven-goal game is thrilling for the fans, but from a coaching perspective, conceding three goals is problematic.

"I didn't like conceding a goal from a set piece, the second goal was an easy shot and the third was not fair play, they should have given us the ball and they didn't."

Fenerbahce must now finish the job when Lugano visit the Sukru Saracoglu Stadium in Istanbul for the second leg on July 30.

"I’m looking forward to a full stadium next Tuesday," Mourinho said. "Let’s give Lugano a warm reception. They’ll enjoy the atmosphere, no doubt."

Should they eliminate Lugano, Fenerbahce will have to navigate the third qualifying round and the play-off round to earn a place in the Champions League group stage.

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Football, Champions League, Jose Mourinho, Fenerbahce, UEFA

Alex Brotherton
Alex Brotherton

Alex Brotherton is a journalist at SPORTbible. He has previously worked with publications including the Manchester Evening News, GOAL and BBC Sport. He is a football fanatic, but also dabbles in tennis and American football. He can often be found watching dreadful non-league football.

X

@alex_brotherton

Advert

Advert

Advert

  • Jose Mourinho hints at UEFA conspiracy against Fenerbahce in box office interview after Rangers defeat
  • Jose Mourinho tipped to join surprise Premier League club as Fenerbahce sack confirmed
  • Ex-Premier League Boss Reveals He Was Close to Replacing Jose Mourinho at Man Utd
  • Jose Mourinho tipped to take 'attractive' Premier League job after damaging Fenerbahce defeat

Choose your content:

an hour ago
2 hours ago
  • Getty/ Amazon Prime
    an hour ago

    Jose Mourinho slammed for comments on Vini Jr incident as pundits left speechless

    The Benfica boss has revealed exactly what he said to Vinicius Junior following the alleged racist incident.

    Football
  • Getty
    an hour ago

    Trent Alexander-Arnold speaks out on Vini Jr incident as Brazilian issues statement

    The Real Madrid right-back spoke to Amazon Prime after an eventful night in Lisbon.

    Football
  • Prime Video
    an hour ago

    Gianluca Prestianni takes immediate action following incident with Vini Jr

    The Benfica winger was involved in an incident with the Real Madrid man during the second half of the Champions League play-off first leg.

    Football
  • Amazon prime
    2 hours ago

    Benfica vs Real Madrid match suspended as chaos ensues following Vini Jr incident

    The match was immediately called off after Vinicius Jr reported he had been subject to racial abuse.

    Football