sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
UEFA set precedent on racial abuse punishment amid Gianluca Prestianni incident
Home>Football>Football News>Champions League
Published 12:20 18 Feb 2026 GMT

UEFA set precedent on racial abuse punishment amid Gianluca Prestianni incident

Gianluca Prestianni was accused of making a racist remark against Real Madrid star Vinicius Jr in Champions League clash.

Josh Lawless

Josh Lawless

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

UEFA have set precedent on punishment for racial abuse amid the governing body issuing a statement involving accusations levelled at Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni from Real Madrid.

In Tuesday's Champions League play-off at the Estadio da Luz, Vinicius Jr scored the only goal of the game in the 50th minute when he conjured up a fine individual strike.

The Brazilian was booked for excessive celebration but just as the game was set to restart with a Benfica kick-off, Vinicius ran over to the referee to complain about an alleged racist remark from Prestianni, who was seen covering his mouth with his top.

The game was then delayed for a period of 10 minutes as referee Francois Letexier activated anti-racism protocol. Jose Mourinho was seen conversing with Vinicius and later revealed in a post-match interview that he told Vinicius "when you score a goal like that you just celebrate and walk back".

Advert

He also added that he "told him the biggest person in the history of this club [Eusebio] was black".

Prestianni has been accused of racial abuse by Vinicius Jr. Image: Getty
Prestianni has been accused of racial abuse by Vinicius Jr. Image: Getty

Kylian Mbappe alleged that he heard Prestianni use the word "m****y" and called him UEFA to ban the 20-year-old.

The Argentine, who has had a lock screen containing an image of him and Vinicius, categorically denied he used any type of racist language in a statement.

He also disabled comments on his Instagram page as a result of the incident. Aurelien Tchouameni, meanwhile alleged that Prestianni confessed to using the homophobic slur "f****ts".

Argentine outlet Ole claimed that Prestianni had in fact used the word "hermano" - which translates to brother.

In a first comment, UEFA said that "official reports from the matches last night are currently being reviewed" and added that any "disciplinary sanctions" being imposed on the UEFA disciplinary website.

In a second statement, UEFA confirmed that an ethics and disciplinary inspector had been appointed and would lead an investigation into "allegations of discriminatory behaviour".

Though there have been a multitude of issues involving racist abuse from supporters, there have been not been many racist incidents involving players in recent times.

The most high-profile situation saw Slavia Prague defender Ondrej Kudela found guilty of racially abusing Glen Kamara when he was at Rangers.

Kudela was banned for 10 games for racially abusing Glen Kamara. Image: Getty
Kudela was banned for 10 games for racially abusing Glen Kamara. Image: Getty

In line with the baseline punishment as per article 14 of UEFA’s disciplinary regulations (racism and discriminatory conduct), Kudela was suspended for 10-games in the Europa League after the charge.

He was also banned for a further three games for a separate incident in the tunnel. Denying the claims, the Czech Republic international had expressed an intention to appeal but reversed his decision to do so and issued a statement.

"I realise that it was a mistake to go to Glen Kamara at all and tell him anything," Kudela said in a statement from law firm Urban & Hedjuk

"There were emotions in the match and unfortunately I can't take it back now. I'm so sorry."

His ban ruled him out of Euro 2020 but Kudela avoided criminal charges following the incident at Ibrox.

If charges and banned, a player can call upon UEFA’s Appeals Body and then the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: UEFA

Josh Lawless
Josh Lawless

Josh is a sports journalist who specialises in football and WWE. He has been published by Curzon Ashton FC, Late Tackle, Manchester City FC, The Mirror, Read Man City and Manchester Evening News. He provides coverage of professional wrestling and has covered two WrestleMania events for SPORTbible.

X

@joshlawless_

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

  • Gianluca Prestianni facing huge 'minimum ban' as UEFA announce suspension
  • UEFA issue new statement on Gianluca Prestianni ban hours before Real Madrid match
  • FIFA extend Gianluca Prestianni ban for start of World Cup after exceptional UEFA request
  • Galatasaray 'Set for UEFA Punishment' Following Incident in Champions League

Choose your content:

a minute ago
an hour ago
2 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    a minute ago

    Man City handed second blow as player decides to leave with Pep Guardiola

    Manchester City is being faced with a huge rebuild project in the summer transfer window as another icon walks out with Pep

    Football
  • Getty
    an hour ago

    Arsenal player 'open to leaving the club' after winning Premier League title

    The Arsenal star became a Premier League champion but could move on this summer.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    Bombshell report into spygate scandal reveals 'disguise' used by Southampton

    More shocking details from Southampton's spying ahead of the play-off final have emerged.

    Football
  • Getty
    2 hours ago

    Southampton players could take action against own club after being expelled from play-offs

    There could be further repercussions for Southampton after they were expelled from the Championship play-offs following the spygate scandal.

    Football