sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Former national captain claims his Ballon d'Or votes were changed to support Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo
Home>Football>Football News
Published 16:22 25 Oct 2024 GMT+1

Former national captain claims his Ballon d'Or votes were changed to support Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo

The 2024 Ballon d’Or award will be handed out on Monday.

Marcus Chan

Marcus Chan

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

The former captain of Equatorial Guinea, Juvenal Edjogo, has sensationally claimed that his Ballon d’Or votes were changed to favour Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo.

On Monday, the latest winner of the prestigious Ballon d’Or award will be announced at the Theatre du Chatelet in Paris, France.

Ahead of the event, Real Madrid trio Vinicius Junior, Jude Bellingham and Kylian Mbappe are among the favourites to pick up the trophy.

However, it has been highly speculated that Brazilian superstar Vinicius is set to be announced as the winner of the illustrious accolade.

Advert

Last year, it was claimed by Juvenal that his votes from back in 2013 were changed in order to support Messi and Ronaldo.

As reported by Diario AS, Juvenal told Gol Play: “What little I can say about this type of award is that in 2013, I voted for my three players for the Ballon d’Or, and I sent my votes, and in the end when it was made public, the list of who voted for whom, my votes were different.

“It said I voted for Messi, Cristiano, and I don’t know who else, but I didn’t vote for any of them. That’s why I say, I don’t believe in absolutely anything about those awards. Since then, I’ve thought these awards have no value.”

However, it was also reported that Juvenal’s name was not actually listed on the public votes from 2013.

Image
Getty

When Diario AS reached out to Juvenal for comment, he replied: “For the 2013 Ballon d’Or whose ballots were sent in September or October 2012, the only ones who voted were coaches and captains.

“I was the captain of the Equatorial Guinea national team for more than 10 years and I sent my votes for Drogba, Iniesta and Falcao through a link that we had to fill in after downloading. I don’t know if my votes didn’t reach FIFA because a journalist impersonated me.”

Juvenal continued: “This topic did not matter to me at the time and I do not care now. I simply said that I voted for some players and in the end those votes did not reach their destination. I think I wasn’t the only one to whom something similar happened.”

SPORTbible has reached out to Juvenal for further comment.

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Ballon d'Or, Football, Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo

Marcus Chan
Marcus Chan

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

29 mins ago
an hour ago
3 hours ago
  • Getty
    29 mins ago

    Liverpool 'reach agreement' over first transfer of summer window

    The Reds are closing in on their first summer signing before the final weekend of the Premier League season.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Man City told potential date for long-awaited 115 charges verdict ahead of Pep Guardiola's exit

    Pep Guardiola's departure from Manchester City comes as the gavel bangs to deliver the verdict on Man City's 115 charges

    Football
  • Hayters
    an hour ago

    Roberto De Zerbi gives his take on Cristian Romero missing Tottenham's final game of the season

    Romero will watch boyhood club Belgrano take on River Plate instead of Sunday's game in North London.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    3 hours ago

    7 players Thomas Tuchel hasn't included in England World Cup squad who should feel hard done by

    Tuchel might regret some of his decisions.

    Football
  • Cristiano Ronaldo Holds Little-Known Ballon d'Or Record over Lionel Messi
  • Cristiano Ronaldo made 'secret phone call' to Lionel Messi over leaked Ballon d'Or result
  • Lionel Messi gives rare insight into his relationship with Cristiano Ronaldo
  • Every Player Messi and Ronaldo Voted for in FIFA Best and Ballon d'Or Awards