• Football
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • Home
  • Football
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • Lionel Messi
    • Cristiano Ronaldo
    • EA FC 25
    • Wrexham
  • Boxing
    • Tyson Fury
    • Anthony Joshua
    • Oleksandr Usyk
    • Mike Tyson
    • Jake Paul
    • Logan Paul
  • UFC
    • Dana White
    • Conor McGregor
    • Khabib Nurmagomedov
    • Jon Jones
    • Paddy Pimblett
    • Joe Rogan
  • Other Sport
    • Athletics
    • Formula 1
    • MMA
    • Motorsport
    • NBA
    • Darts
    • NFL
    • Snooker
    • Wrestling
    • Tennis
    • Cricket
    • Golf
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • UNILAD
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Premier League 'demanded proof' Chelsea are not owned by Saudi Arabia

Home> Football

Published 21:01 22 Jun 2023 GMT+1

Premier League 'demanded proof' Chelsea are not owned by Saudi Arabia

Chelsea were taken over by Todd Boehly last year

Marcus Chan

Marcus Chan

Featured Image Credit: Alamy/Twitter@Transfers

Topics: Chelsea, Saudi Arabia, Saudi Pro League, Premier League, Football, Todd Boehly

Marcus Chan
Marcus Chan

Advert

Advert

Advert

The Premier League reportedly asked Chelsea to provide proof that they are not owned by Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund.

Since Cristiano Ronaldo joined Al Nassr back in January, Saudi Arabia have been investing a lot into the Saudi Professional League in order to attract some of football’s biggest names.

Karim Benzema has signed for Al Ittihad with a host of big names set to follow suit.

Chelsea’s N’Golo Kante will leave Stamford Bridge for Al Ittihad and many other Blues players have been linked with moves to the Middle East.

According to multiple reports, the likes of Hakim Ziyech, Kalidou Koulibaly and Edouard Mendy are all set to join the Saudi Professional League.

Advert

The sudden influx of Chelsea players to Saudi Arabia has raised concerns.

According to The Telegraph, Premier League bosses have asked Chelsea to give evidence that the Saudi Arabia Public Investment Fund were not part of Todd Boehly and Clearlake Capital’s purchase of the club last year.

The report also claimed that Chelsea have since provided proof and the Premier League are said to be satisfied.

Image
Alamy

Advert

Saudi Arabia’s PIF completed the takeover of Newcastle United in 2021 for a fee of £300 million, since then, they have spent big on the team.

After signing the likes of Kieran Tripper, Bruno Guimaraes and Alexander Isak, Eddie Howe’s men managed to qualify for next season’s Champions League.

Chelsea have also spent big, having splashed out more than £600 million over the last two transfer windows on the likes of Marc Cucurella, Raheem Sterling, Enzo Fernandez and Wesley Fofana.

Boehly has previously warned that Newcastle will be part of a big seven in the Premier League.

Advert

He told The Telegraph: “The big six will become the big seven with the Saudi deal for Newcastle.

“There is going to be opportunity for everyone to win.”

SPORTbible has contacted Chelsea and the Premier League for comment.

Choose your content:

an hour ago
2 hours ago
3 hours ago
5 hours ago
  • Getty ImagesGetty Images
    an hour ago

    Nicolas Jackson's agent speaks out after Chelsea request transfer to Bayern Munich is cancelled

    Chelsea have asked Jackson to return to London.

    Football
  • Getty ImagesGetty Images
    2 hours ago

    Fan footage of 98th minute incident during Man Utd vs Burnley has become big talking point

    United picked up their first win of the season on Saturday.

    Football
  • Getty ImagesGetty Images
    3 hours ago

    Police issue statement after teenager arrested near Stamford Bridge over imitation firearm

    The boy was arrested after Chelsea's victory over Fulham on Saturday.

    Football
  • Premier LeaguePremier League
    5 hours ago

    Ruben Amorim's reaction before Bruno Fernandes scored last minute penalty vs Burnley speaks volumes

    It was a nervy game at Old Trafford.

    Football
  • Chelsea fans spot awkward moment between Todd Boehly and his wife live on Sky Sports
  • Ex-Premier League star to be 'banished' from Saudi Pro League squad to make room for Neymar
  • Steven Gerrard hits rock bottom after footage emerges following latest humiliation in Saudi Arabia
  • Footage shows Ivan Toney's stunning mansion in Saudi Arabia after £40 million move