sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Barcelona will not be playing at the Camp Nou next season as new plans revealed
Home>Football
Published 13:34 31 Mar 2023 GMT+1

Barcelona will not be playing at the Camp Nou next season as new plans revealed

Barcelona will be away from their famous home stadium for the 23/24 season

Marcus Chan

Marcus Chan

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Spanish La Liga giants Barcelona are set to spend next season away from the Camp Nou as they plan to redevelop their famous old ground.

The decision came after plans to improve their stadium were approved by the club’s board on Thursday.

Barcelona’s senior officials gave the financial plan the green light to start the Espai Barca project.

Redevelopment plans are being backed by US investment firms Goldman Sachs and JP Morgan, with Barcelona set to receive up to £1.3 billion to finance the renovations.

Advert

According to The Athletic, a final agreement between the US firms is expected soon and could be made official within the next 24 hours.

On Thursday, the Catalan club told the City Council and UEFA that they will play their home matches at the Estadi Lluis Companys during the 23/24 season. This will be the first time as 1957 that Barcelona will not use the Camp Nou as their home stadium.

The Estadi Lluis Companys is located on Montjuic, a large hill which is southwest of Barcelona’s city centre. The stadium hosted the 1992 Olympics and has a capacity of 55,000.

Work on the first and second tiers was already started at the end of last season, with the third tier to be demolished also during the summer of 2023 and renovations to continue into the next campaign.

Image
Alamy

Last year, Barcelona’s president Joan Laporta confirmed that the club will not play at the Camp Nou during the 23/24 season.

However, at that stage, due to the financial constraints, the funding plan for the Espai Barca project was yet to be secured.

Sources close to the club reportedly said that recent news regarding the Negreira scandal and the ongoing battle with La Liga in regard of Pablo Gavi’s contract have made things even more difficult.

It is believed that the team could make a return to the Camp Nou in the 24/25 season but will only be able to play in front of a 50 per cent crowd.

Featured Image Credit: Alamy

Topics: Barcelona, La Liga, Football

Marcus Chan
Marcus Chan

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

8 hours ago
9 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    8 hours ago

    Final Champions League spot could be decided by play-off as unthinkable scenario unfolds

    This has never happened before, but it's genuinely possible with a game left to play in the Premier League.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    8 hours ago

    Declan Rice has the coldest response to Arsenal’s first Premier League title win in 22 years

    Arsenal are the 2026 Premier League champions and Rice made sure to celebrate.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    9 hours ago

    'I've studied Pep for a while' - Micah Richards reacts to Pep Guardiola's response to exit rumours

    Richards also said Manchester City's players went against the club's ethos as they surrendered the Premier League title to Arsenal.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    9 hours ago

    Pep Guardiola responds to rumours he will leave Manchester City after Premier League title loss

    The Manchester City boss has finally broken his silence on the rumours.

    Football
  • Hansi Flick speaks out on Lamine Yamal waving Palestine flag during Barcelona title parade - 'Something I don't like'
  • Marcus Rashford achieves feat last done 41 years ago as Barcelona win La Liga
  • Barcelona set to poach Premier League star as Robert Lewandowski replacement
  • Barcelona in fresh crisis as star could be 'blocked' from playing until January after Marcus Rashford decision