sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Sergio Perez speaks out for the first time since Red Bull sack and drops major hint on F1 future
Home>F1
Published 14:21 11 Jan 2025 GMT

Sergio Perez speaks out for the first time since Red Bull sack and drops major hint on F1 future

Sergio Perez was let go by Red Bull Racing after the 2024 season came to a close.

Marcus Chan

Marcus Chan

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

After losing his Formula 1 seat at Red Bull Racing to Liam Lawson, Sergio Perez has broken his silence for the first time.

On the back of what was a horrible 2024 season for Perez, rumours surrounding his future refused to go away as he finished in a disappointing eighth place in the standings, 285 points behind teammate Max Verstappen.

Last month, the worst kept secret in the sport was made public as it was confirmed that Perez had left Red Bull and was replaced by Lawson.

Advert

In a statement, the Mexican said: "I'm incredibly grateful for the past four years with Red Bull. We broke records and reached remarkable milestones."

Meanwhile, Red Bull team boss Christian Horner labelled Perez as an “extraordinary team player”.

Now, the 34-year-old has spoken for the first time since being replaced by Red Bull.

Sergio Perez breaks silence after Red Bull departure and drops hint on F1 future

As reported by Planet F1, Perez said: "My priority is to enjoy myself, to do things I haven’t done, to be with my family.

"In the next six months, I will make a decision on what I want for the next step in my career."

When asked about his future in F1, the Mexican added: "It’s too early to give an answer as to whether I intend to return to Formula 1. Everything happened very quickly at the end of last season, I didn’t expect to leave the team.

"My biggest motivation now is to take my children on a good path and be more present in their lives. I am very excited to be with my family because in F1 you only think about being a better driver, preparing yourself better, you don’t have time for anything else."

Sergio Perez was replaced by Liam Lawson ahead of the 2025 season. Image: Getty
Sergio Perez was replaced by Liam Lawson ahead of the 2025 season. Image: Getty

Despite losing his seat, Red Bull boss Horner did hint that Perez will have a role to play with the team in the new campaign.

He said: "He’s still going to be involved with the team. He will be doing a couple of show runs with us during next year.

"But it was right for him – because it wasn’t enjoyable for him either, getting all this scrutiny and pressure and expectation every weekend."

The 2025 F1 season will begin in March with the Australian Grand Prix, which will be held around Albert Park in Melbourne on March 16.

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Formula 1, Red Bull Racing

Marcus Chan
Marcus Chan

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

  • Max Verstappen exclusive: Red Bull star outlines his future plans and reveals what motivates him to continue racing in F1
  • Max Verstappen exclusive: Red Bull star outlines his future plans and reveals what motivates him to continue racing in F1
  • Red Bull to announce Sergio Perez exit today with replacement already lined up in major F1 shake-up
  • Christian Horner confirms shock new role for Sergio Perez as 'sacked' Red Bull star's father issues five-word hint

Choose your content:

22 days ago
  • SPORTbible
    22 days ago

    Formula E unveil game-changing new car that will have F1 looking over their shoulder

    The new car reaches 0-200kph in just 4.4 seconds, which is 1.5 seconds faster than its predecessor.

    F1
  • Getty
    22 days ago

    Christian Horner 'explores' moving to other sport after being blocked in F1

    Horner was sacked by Red Bull after 20 years in July 2025.

    F1
  • Getty
    22 days ago

    Fernando Alonso issues retirement update ahead of Miami Grand Prix

    The Aston Martin driver has spoken about his future after a torrid start to the season.

    F1
  • Getty
    22 days ago

    F1 have quietly removed controversial new rule that drivers and team bosses hated

    The small change is set to make an important difference in certain parts of each circuit.

    F1