sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Honda issue emergency statement after Fernando Alonso incident at F1 test event
Home>F1
Published 09:59 20 Feb 2026 GMT

Honda issue emergency statement after Fernando Alonso incident at F1 test event

Fernando Alonso caused a red flag after an issue on his Aston Martin.

Marcus Chan

Marcus Chan

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Aston Martin's power unit supplier, Honda, have had to issue a statement following an incident involving Fernando Alonso in Bahrain.

This week, preparations for the 2026 Formula 1 campaign ramped up as the final test began around the Bahrain International Circuit.

While the likes of Mercedes, Williams and Ferrari impressed during the Bahrain test, Aston Martin endured a tough time.

Hopes were at an all time high following the arrival of Adrian Newey, who is often regarded as the greatest F1 designer in history.

Advert

However, Aston Martin's challenger for this season, the AMR26, has proved to be problematic during testing.

Alonso and Lance Stroll have had their sessions limited due to multiple problems and have completed fewer than 400 laps.

On Thursday, Alonso brought out the red flag during the afternoon session due to what has since been confirmed as a battery issue.

Fernando Alonso (R) suffered a battery issue during Thursday's testing session in Bahrain. Image: Getty
Fernando Alonso (R) suffered a battery issue during Thursday's testing session in Bahrain. Image: Getty

As a result, Honda have had to issue a statement confirming that the team's plans for the final day of testing have been changed.

According to Planet F1, a similar problem has been noted on Stroll's car, who failed to complete a single lap during the first two hours of Friday's session.

A statement from Honda said: "Our last run with Fernando Alonso yesterday showed a battery-related issue that impacted our test plan with the Aston Martin Aramco Formula One Team.

"Since then, we have been carrying out simulations on the test bench in HRC Sakura."

It continued: "Due to this and a shortage of power unit parts, we have adapted today’s run plan to be very limited and consist only of short stints."

Honda's statement in full. Image: X/@HondaRacingF1
Honda's statement in full. Image: X/@HondaRacingF1

In response to Honda's statement, Sky Sports F1 lead commentator David Croft said: "What has gone wrong so far has been called a shortage of parts.

"I imagine not just for logistical reasons, but cost cap reasons because these parts are expensive, you can't keep throwing new parts at it."

Fernando Alonso speaks out after Aston Martin's dismal Bahrain test

Despite the problems, Alonso said on Wednesday that he remains optimistic for the season ahead.

The two-time F1 world champion said: "We will try to fix everything that we can before Australia and, after that, try to fix as many things as possible in the first couple of races before it’s too late in the championship.

"But no, I’m optimistic. I think there is a solution in place."

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Fernando Alonso, Formula 1

Marcus Chan
Marcus Chan

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

25 days ago
26 days ago
  • SPORTbible
    25 days ago

    Formula E unveil game-changing new car that will have F1 looking over their shoulder

    The new car reaches 0-200kph in just 4.4 seconds, which is 1.5 seconds faster than its predecessor.

    F1
  • Getty
    25 days ago

    Christian Horner 'explores' moving to other sport after being blocked in F1

    Horner was sacked by Red Bull after 20 years in July 2025.

    F1
  • Getty
    25 days ago

    Fernando Alonso issues retirement update ahead of Miami Grand Prix

    The Aston Martin driver has spoken about his future after a torrid start to the season.

    F1
  • Getty
    26 days ago

    F1 have quietly removed controversial new rule that drivers and team bosses hated

    The small change is set to make an important difference in certain parts of each circuit.

    F1
  • Jenson Button Reveals Dark Horse for 2026 F1 Season Due to 'Massive' Advantage
  • X-rated Fernando Alonso radio message has sent F1 fans after safety car drama
  • Unheard Fernando Alonso radio message from F1 Saudi GP emerges and it's damning
  • Fernando Alonso Calls Out Two F1 Rule Changes That Have Made It ‘Less Exciting’