Toto Wolff makes Epstein files remark as he addresses Mercedes power unit row

Home> F1

Toto Wolff makes Epstein files remark as he addresses Mercedes power unit row

There has been speculation in the paddock surrounding Mercedes' 2026 power unit.

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Toto Wolff made a reference to the Epstein files when addressing speculation over the legality of Mercedes' power unit in 2026.

Mercedes have set the pace thus far during pre-season testing, with George Russell topping the timesheets on day one of the third and final test in Bahrain.

They are one of a small number of teams to produce their own power unit, which is then supplied to customers Williams, Alpine and Aston Martin for use during the 2026 season.

Talk among the paddock appears to centre around the Mercedes power unit being one of the strongest on the grid - but a dispute has already developed before the start of the season.

The dispute surrounds the compression ratio in use on the power unit, which measures how much the air-fuel mix inside a cylinder can be compressed.

The default maximum ratio is set at 16:1 for ambient conditions during the 2026 season, though rival teams argue that Mercedes have found a 'trick' to exceed that limit while running in higher temperatures.

Mercedes have showed strong pace during 2026 pre-season testing (Image: Getty)
Mercedes have showed strong pace during 2026 pre-season testing (Image: Getty)

Wolff stated on Monday that the team had been in dialogue with FIA throughout their power unit design process, adding (via Sky Sports): "We have had all the assurances that what we did was according to the rules."

Swiss outlet Blick reported earlier this week that Ferrari are among the teams who appear to have a different view, and are said to be claiming that 'the FIA will ban the increased compression ratio for the Australian Grand Prix'.

The FIA announced on Wednesday that they had submitted a proposal for new methodology relating to the compression ratio measurements.

Under the new proposals, which would come into place from August 1, 2026, teams would have to demonstrate that their ratio limit is compliant at both of temperatures of 130 degrees Celsius and ambient conditions, instead of the current ambient measurement.

Representatives from each of the 11 F1 teams will vote on the proposal on Friday.

Wolff, who has been Mercedes team principal since 2013, is also a co-owner of the Silver Arrows.

In his latest response to the saga, he stated during a team principals' press conference in Bahrain: "Stories that we have an illegal engine are bulls**t. Just like that our fuel wouldn't meet the standards.

"Maybe tomorrow we'll be inventing something else... I don't know, that I've been on the Epstein files. God knows what."

He turned towards the journalists in attendance, before quickly adding: "You're not happy with me saying that, no? I was too young!

"Yeah, I mustn't say that, yeah."


"Either we stay with the regulations like we are, or the vote goes ahead on Friday with the proposal that came from the FIA," Wolff said of the proposed regulation change. "Both OK for us.

"We said it all along that this looks like a storm in a teacup, the whole thing.

"Numbers were coming up, and if these numbers would have been through [the roof], I absolutely understand why somebody would fight it, but eventually it's not worth the fight.

"It doesn't change anything for us, whether we stay like this or whether we change to the new regulations and that's been a process."

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Mercedes, Formula 1