• Football
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • Home
  • Football
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • Lionel Messi
    • Cristiano Ronaldo
    • EA FC 25
    • Wrexham
  • Boxing
    • Tyson Fury
    • Anthony Joshua
    • Oleksandr Usyk
    • Mike Tyson
    • Jake Paul
    • Logan Paul
  • UFC
    • Dana White
    • Conor McGregor
    • Khabib Nurmagomedov
    • Jon Jones
    • Paddy Pimblett
    • Joe Rogan
  • Other Sport
    • Athletics
    • Formula 1
    • MMA
    • Motorsport
    • NBA
    • Darts
    • NFL
    • Snooker
    • Wrestling
    • Tennis
    • Cricket
    • Golf
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • UNILAD
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
F1 reserve driver involved in ‘private test’ hours after Japanese GP as pressure grows on current F1 driver

Home> F1

Updated 21:13 6 Apr 2025 GMT+1Published 19:28 6 Apr 2025 GMT+1

F1 reserve driver involved in ‘private test’ hours after Japanese GP as pressure grows on current F1 driver

A second driver could be under increasing pressure over their position on the 2025 F1 grid.

Ryan Smart

Ryan Smart

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

A second F1 driver could be under pressure to keep their seat in the early stages of the 2025 season, it has been reported.

Liam Lawson was demoted after just two Grands Prix by Red Bull, with the team stating that they had a 'duty of care' to the Kiwi after he struggled to adapt to the unique characteristics of his new car.

Lawson returned to Racing Bulls - his team last season - for the Japanese Grand Prix, and finished in 17th place.

Two places ahead of him on track was Alpine's Jack Doohan, who finished 19 seconds behind 13th-placed team-mate Pierre Gasly but was on what turned out to be a worse strategy.

Advert

He also held off several drivers at the end of the Grand Prix while on much older tyres, including Lawson.

The Australian had a horror 185mph crash in second practice at Suzuka, with the team subsequently confirming that the incident was down to driver error.

Doohan did not close the drag reduction system (DRS) flap before turning into the flat turn one, and thus caused the car to lose control.

He did not participate in first practice, as Alpine elected to allow reserve driver Ryo Hirakawa to drive his car instead of that of the far more experienced Pierre Gasly.

In those circumstances, it was a solid Grand Prix for the 22-year-old amid reports that he could be under pressure at Alpine - particularly with newly-signed reserve driver Franco Colapinto desperate for an opportunity.

On Sunday, footage emerged of Colapinto driving a 2023 Alpine car in a private test at the Monza circuit in Italy.


He and fellow Alpine reserve driver Paul Aron took part, with Colapinto's fastest lap said to be a tenth quicker than the Estonian.

In the clearest indication that there may be doubt over Doohan's long-term position, team principal Oliver Oakes acknowledged that there was 'unrest' over the Australian's position - though did add that the team are 'happy' with him 'at the moment'.

He said: "We know there's a bit of unrest around Jack's position, but he's working well. So far, it's been ok. He's staying calm and focusing on himself.

"There are a lot of rumours about Franco, but at the moment we're happy.

"You always have to decide what's best for the team. Every driver in Formula 1 has to perform. They know that."

Doohan replacement inevitable

Speaking before the season had already started, former F1 star Juan Pablo Montoya claimed that it is inevitable that Doohan will be replaced.

“The difficult thing about Doohan is that from the outside it seems like the decision has already been taken,” Montoya told AS Colombia.

“I think it will happen.

“I think Formula 1 saw how important [Colapinto’s popularity] is and Formula 1 in the background is already helping for that to happen."

Featured Image Credit: Getty / Instagram

Topics: Formula 1

Ryan Smart
Ryan Smart

Live in constant hope of the top flight as a Preston North End fan. Written in the past for SPORF, GiveMeSport and more.

Advert

Advert

Advert

Choose your content:

an hour ago
a day ago
  • Getty
    an hour ago

    F1 insider reveals 2026 pecking order based on 'secret' Bahrain testing data

    F1's official pre-season testing block for 2026 concluded on Friday in Bahrain.

    F1
  • Andrea Diodato/NurPhoto via Getty Images
    a day ago

    F1 title odds slashed following Ferrari Bahrain pre-season test lap times

    The bookies have had their say on Charles Leclerc and Lewis Hamilton's title chances.

    F1
  • Mark Sutton - Formula 1/Formula 1 via Getty Images
    a day ago

    F1 driver makes history smashing record on final day of testing

    The Formula One star impressed with a record-breaking performance at the Bahrain International Circuit.

    F1
  • Getty
    a day ago

    Final lap times in full as F1 testing concludes in Bahrain

    Testing ahead of the 2026 Formula 1 season has now concluded.

    F1
  • Fastest Lap Times Revealed as First F1 Test Concludes in Bahrain
  • F1 to have extra 2026 pre-season test with bizarre location selected
  • F1 driver drops x-rated radio message to garage after embarrassing error in Japanese GP practice
  • Honda issue emergency statement after Fernando Alonso incident at F1 test event