
One of the biggest matches in WWE currently has been plunged into doubt after a top star was arrested.
On 30 May, AAA, the Mexican Lucha Libre promotion which WWE acquired in 2025, will stage the Noche de Los Grandes (Night of the Greats) show at the Arena Monterrey in Monterrey.
An eagerly anticipated mask vs mask match between El Grande Americano and 'The Original' El Grande Americano is one of the top bouts on the card but there are now fears whether it will go ahead as one of the competitors was taken into custody on Wednesday.
German Ludwig Kaiser has been performing as a Mexican masked wrestler in recent times, achieving huge success and being involved in an entertaining storyline with Chad Gable - who also claims to be the real El Grande Americano.
Advert
But just days before the crunch showdown and the biggest bout of his career, Kaiser, real name Marcel Barthel, was arrested for battery in Florida.
According to Sean Ross Sapp of Fightful, the wrestler was arrested for a battery charge "against a male after an altercation" and not a domestic situation.
The 35-year-old was then taken into custody at Orange County Corrections before being bonded on a $1000 bail. His mugshot was posted online and featured on 'Orange County Mugshots' and RecentlyBooked.com.

As El Grande Americano, Kaiser has been a huge hit in Mexico - receiving huge positive reactions in front of the live crowds and being involved in one of the biggest storylines in wrestling.
After wrestling on the independent scene, he signed with WWE in 2017 and is a two-time NXT tag team champion with former Imperium stablemate Fabian Aichner/Giovanni Vinci.
Kaiser was in headlines recently after legendary 16-time world champion Ric Flair claimed he was banned from WrestleMania 42 following a tense situation with the WWE star.
Flair claimed that Kaiser spoke to Triple H and had him blacklisted for the event after he called him and threatened him after things boiled over between his daughter Charlotte and Kaiser's ex girlfriend Tiffany Stratton when their storyline program got messy with brutal insults in 2025.
"I threatened to beat up Tiffany Stratton’s husband last year, and I wasn’t allowed to go," Flair said in an interview with Ariel Helwani on his Uncrowned show.
A 24-year-old kid being threatened by a 76-year-old man, and I can’t go to WrestleMania. Are you kidding me?
“That English kid, he’s gonna go as far in wrestling as a gnat. He’ll be a fly on the wall in a year.
“They had that thing where Tiffany made a smart remark about Ashley’s divorces — which we both know she’s not smart enough to have written. Somebody gave her the script. And then he implied that, I’m just going based on social media, once again, which is a lot, that he was implying that he wouldn’t mind a one-off with Ashley.
“And I went, ‘Okay, I need your number’. I got it, which I can get anybody’s number I want any minute of any day. And I called him. I said, ‘Hey, when I see you, I’m gonna beat the s**t out of you.’
“So he went like a little b**h, told Hunter, and I wasn’t allowed to go. He’s going to really go far in the business. A 76-year-old tells a 24-year-old kid that he’s going to kick his ass and where is he now? Is he even on the roster? Little punk.”
SPORTbible has contacted WWE for comment.
Topics: WWE