Politicians Want 'Outdated' Octagon Girls Banned From UFC Event In Australia
Australian politicians have called for "outdated" Octagon girls to be banned from next month's UFC event in Melbourne.
In years gone by, a number of different sports have decided to scrap 'scantily-clad females' from their organisations.
The Professional Darts Corporation (PDC) no longer use walk-on girls after talks with broadcasters and Melbourne's Formula One Grand Prix banned grid girls last year.
And now Premier Daniel Andrews and Lord Mayor Sally Capp are urging UFC organisers to do "the right thing'' ahead of UFC 243 in October.
"It's 2019, do we really still need scantily-clad women to wander around the middle of a fighting ring between rounds?" Capp told Herald Sun.
"Grid girls are no longer part of Formula One, walk-on girls are no longer part of professional darts - surely it's time to move on."
First, it was grid girls at the Melbourne Grand Prix. Then ring girl at boxing bouts. Now there is a push to remove "Octagon Girls'' from UFC in Melbourne.https://t.co/WSx7r3l8EU- Herald Sun (@theheraldsun) September 9, 2019
Andrews also believes it is not politically correct to use Octagon girls as events "have a powerful message to send" when it comes to the representation of women in sport and the community.
"The Grand Prix did the right thing in ending the use of grid girls and we encourage other events to make similar moves,'' a spokesman for Mr Andrews said.
"We have come a long way in making sport more accessible for women and girls."
In January last year, It was confirmed that walk-on girls will no longer be involved in the Professional Darts Corporation after they announced the controversial decision in a statement.
"We regularly review all aspects of our events and this move has been made following feedback from our host broadcasters," a spokesperson told the Press Association.
PDC player Raymond van Barneveld backed a petition to reinstate the decision, saying: "I will really miss the girls. For me they are a part of the darts. Sign their petition so they hopefully can keep their job."
The decision certainly caused a split opinion among fans.
The Women's Sport Trust applauded PDC for their decision and tweeted: "We applaud the Professional Darts Corporation moving with the times and deciding to no longer use walk-on-girls. Motor racing, boxing and cycling... your move."
Thoughts on politicians calling for the UFC to remove Octagon girls from the sport?
Let us know in the comments.