To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Not now
OK

Tony Ferguson Breaks Silence On UFC Future And Gives Update On His Arm After Brutal Armbar

Nasir Jabbar

Published 
| Last updated 

Tony Ferguson Breaks Silence On UFC Future And Gives Update On His Arm After Brutal Armbar

Tony Ferguson has reacted to his crushing defeat to Charles Oliveira at UFC 256 and given an update on his arm after surviving a nasty submission attempt.

For the first time in his professional career, Ferguson is on a losing streak having lost his second straight UFC fight on Saturday.

Ferguson has had a rough 2020 after losing out on a UFC championship bout against Khabib Nurmagomedov before losing two on the bounce.

But the 36-year-old has no plans of walking away from the UFC, insisting he still has a lot to offer.

"No Excuses, I Felt Flat. I Went Out & Welcomed The Attack Instead Of Defend. The Warm Up Time In The Back for @UFC Hasn't Been The Same Since Pre-COVID. Still No Excuses, Times Change & So Do People," the UFC star's statement on Instagram reads.

"The Time From Hotel To UFC Apex Is Much More Condensed & The Aggressive Level We Needed Was Not Reached. My Fault.

"I Have Learned So Much About Myself This Year & What My Purpose In Life Is. My Search For That Epic Word Called 'greatness' Isn't Over. Understand Crew."

'El Cucuy' continued by praising the Brazilian contender before saying his arm is fine from the submission attempt.

"Chuck Was Looking Take My Back or Go For The Armbar As Soon As We Hit The Mat. Thus I Didn't Worry About The Mount, Kid Was Slick But So Am I. I Was Looking For The Knockout Standing & D'arce From Bottom Position Once We Hit Jits Transitions. It Was Fun Fighting Against A Wetblanket (AKA 'Heavy Pressure Opponent') Mark My Words,That Scenario Won't Happen Again. Period," he added.

"My Arm Is Aright, The Armbar Was Really Tight. The Thought Of My Son ArmandAnthony's Ability To Be Double Jointed In His Elbow During That Sequence & My Mental Capacity To Endure Pain Got Me Through It.

"I Can't Wait Til We Compete In Front Of A Big Loud Crowd Again, It's Not The Same Without You All."

Ferguson's 12-fight winning streak was snapped earlier in the year by Justin Gaethje and Dana White expected to see the "old Tony" at UFC 256.

"I thought we were going to see the old Tony," the UFC boss said in the post-fight press conference.

"I thought that the last fight [against Justin Gaethje] he was affected by weight cutting.

"I mean 10 out of 10 people tap to that armbar. The fact that he even made it through the armbar is unbelievable.

"Just a testament to how tough and durable and crazy Tony Ferguson is."

When asked about Nurmagomedov vs. Ferguson, which has fallen through FIVE times, he replied: "It just didn't [happen]. It wasn't from lack of trying.

"We put that fight together five times. It just wasn't meant to be. I don't think about it at all."

Featured Image Credit: UFC/ESPN

Topics: Khabib Nurmagomedov, UFC News, Tony Ferguson, Fight News, UFC, Dana White

Nasir Jabbar
More like this

Chosen for YouChosen for You

Football

'Parallel world' – fans are shocked at Lionel Messi's reaction to Sergio Ramos' brilliant header for PSG vs Marseille

9 minutes ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

Kieran Trippier says without hesitation that Declan Rice is better than Casemiro and Thomas Partey

15 hours ago