sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Eurosport forced to apologise for Nick Kyrgios' behaviour in shock defeat at Australian Open
Home>Tennis
Published 12:53 13 Jan 2025 GMT

Eurosport forced to apologise for Nick Kyrgios' behaviour in shock defeat at Australian Open

Nick Kyrgios suffered a shock first-round defeat at the Australian Open.

Marcus Chan

Marcus Chan

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Eurosport commentators were forced to apologise to viewers due to Nick Kyrgios' behaviour during his match against Great Britain's Jacob Fearnley at the 2025 Australian Open.

On Monday, Kyrgios made his long-awaited return to Melbourne Park for the first time since 2022 after enduring a serious injury layoff.

The 29-year-old was looking to beat British rising star Fearnley and advance to the second round of the Australian Open.

However, the home crowd was quickly silenced as Fearnley cruised to a 7-6 (7-3), 6-3, 7-6 (7-2) straight sets victory on the John Cain Arena.

Advert

During the match, Kyrgios was visibly uncomfortable as he often felt his abdominal area and was complaining during changeovers.

Kyrgios suffered an abdominal injury at the Brisbane International earlier in the month and was a doubt heading into the first Grand Slam of the year.

Against Fearnley, Kyrgios was heard saying: "I can’t f***ing serve... just like I told you. Just keep f***ing serving, right? I’m here now. I’m here now so I may as well just keep serving, pretty much."

The TV cameras also picked up more swearing throughout the match, which forced Eurosport to apologise to viewers.

As reported by The Express, commentator Mikey Perera said: "You can see Nick Kyrgios is starting to unload again. I'll keep apologising, everybody. It might still keep on coming, the bad language from Kyrgios. He's just venting to his team."

Perera and his co-commentator Barry Cowan then began to question why the chair umpire turned a blind eye to the bad language. Tennis players often would receive a warning from the umpire if foul language is heard.

Nick Kyrgios appeared to struggle with injury as he crashed out of the Australian Open. Image: Getty
Nick Kyrgios appeared to struggle with injury as he crashed out of the Australian Open. Image: Getty

Meanwhile, former Australian tennis star Todd Woodbridge said on NINE: "No doubt that he (Kyrgios) can pull the people but the problem is two years away from the game is a long time. That’s what he’s finding hard here tonight.

"It’s coming back at the highest level, Grand Slam level. That intensity is amplified. If he had more time, it would have been better to get four or five tournaments under the belt before getting to here but that’s the reality."

After beating Kyrgios, 23-year-old Fearnley said: "All things considered I think it has to be the best match I've ever played."

The Brit will now face Frenchman Arthur Cazaux in the second round.

Featured Image Credit: Eurosport/Getty

Topics: Tennis, Nick Kyrgios, Australian Open

Marcus Chan
Marcus Chan

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

2 hours ago
4 hours ago
a day ago
  • Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    Novak Djokovic training with Grand Slam champion in preparation for Roland Garros

    Novak Djokovic has been training with a Grand Slam champion in preparation for Roland Garros.

    Tennis
  • Getty
    2 hours ago

    Jannik Sinner given ranking points by ATP Tour ahead of French Open despite not playing

    Sinner has gained additional ranking points on his record - even though he hasn't played this week.

    Tennis
  • Getty Images
    4 hours ago

    Jannik Sinner to take part in unprecedented French Open protest

    Sinner will be among 20 players who have staged a walkout of the French Open

    Tennis
  • Getty Images
    a day ago

    Carlos Alcaraz confirms Wimbledon withdrawal due to wrist injury

    The world no.2 has released a statement confirming the devastating news.

    Tennis
  • Nick Kyrgios Issues Sad Statement With Australian Open Just Days Away
  • Novak Djokovic Makes Damning Claim About Nick Kyrgios at US Open
  • Nick Kyrgios delivers four-word verdict on Daniil Medvedev's US Open meltdown with umpire
  • Nick Kyrgios Hits Back After Aryna Sabalenka’s Fiery ‘Kick His Ass’ Claim