sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Jannik Sinner and Aryna Sabalenka walk out of press conferences early as French Open dispute intensifies
Home>Tennis
Updated 17:09 22 May 2026 GMT+1Published 17:03 22 May 2026 GMT+1

Jannik Sinner and Aryna Sabalenka walk out of press conferences early as French Open dispute intensifies

Sinner and Sabalenka were among the top tennis stars who cut short their media duties.

Ryan Smart

Ryan Smart

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Men's and women's world number one players Jannik Sinner and Aryna Sabalenka have both cut their press conferences short ahead of the French Open as part of a player dispute.

Sinner, who is the reigning Wimbledon champion, spoke to reporters on Friday afternoon ahead of the second Grand Slam of the year at Roland Garros.

The Italian, who has won the last six ATP 1000 titles to set a new record, is the heavy favourite to win the French Open amid Carlos Alcaraz's injury absence.

Alcaraz defeated Sinner across five sets in last year's French Open final in what is rated as one of the greatest Grand Slam finals in tennis history.

Advert

But the build-up to this year's tournament has been engulfed by a major prize money dispute between French Open organisers and the top-ranked men's and women's players.

Prize money has increased by 9.5 per cent this year compared to 2025, but that is significantly lower than the 20 per cent increase on offer at last year's US Open and the near 16 per cent offered at the 2026 Australian Open.

Many of the world's leading stars, including Sinner, Daniil Medvedev, Sabalenka, Iga Swiatek and Coco Gauff, have agreed to limit their press conferences to 15 minutes - symbolic as the percentage of revenue that Grand Slams usually offer as prize money - ahead of the tournament.

READ MORE: Jannik Sinner to take part in unprecedented protest ahead of French Open

"It's nothing against journalists or anything against you," Sinner told reporters.

"We are very happy to do the obligations that we have to do. We're just limiting.

"I think it's right to do so ... you know, I think here we're trying to start something new. But again, nothing against you.

"It takes all players, and all players are very connected. We're all very much together. And I think it's something good, because without us, events are not possible to play.

"As I also said in Rome [at the Italian Open], it's about respect. When we have to wait for a year for just a small response, having the best 10 players, it's not nice.

"We're not only talking about prize money. We're also talking about pension, which is a very important topic. Because after you're a tennis player, hopefully we get some pension money.

"Also the decision-making, because who decides if they start now? Three Grand Slams out of four, we start Sunday. But we don't know if they want to start Saturday or Sunday. We would like to have also a small conversation about that."

Sabalenka on French Open boycott

Reigning US Open champion Sabalenka spoke to English language reporters during her press conference before taking questions from Belarusian media.

She then walked out of the press conference as planned after the 15-minute time limit was up.

"I'm here to talk to you because I have respect for you guys. We just wanted to make our point and we are united," Sabalenka stated.

"Fifteen minutes is better than zero. As I said a thousand times today, I have huge respect. But we know what's happening here, so thank you so much."

She went on to add: "I feel like the whole point here [is], it's not about me.

"It's about the players who are lower in the rankings, who are suffering. It's not easy to live in this tennis world with that percentage that we are earning.

"But as the world number one, I feel like I have to stand up and fight for those players. For lower level players, for players who are coming back after injuries, the upcoming generation.

"I feel like our point is pretty clear and pretty fair to everyone."

What have other players said?

Novak Djokovic is one of the few top men's stars not involved in the boycott, as he did not take part in discussions surrounding the decision.

However, the Serb stated that he is in support of what the other players are doing.

"What I can do is reiterate my own position that I have always been on the players' side and tried to advocate for players' rights and better future for players," he said.

Novak Djokovic is not involved in the French Open protest - but does support it (Image: Getty)
Novak Djokovic is not involved in the French Open protest - but does support it (Image: Getty)

"We tend to forget how little the number of people that live from this sport is. I will never stop mentioning or talking about that."

Reigning Wimbledon women's champion Iga Swiatek, who is involved in the press boycott, explained: "When it comes to the tournament, I feel we'll get more if the tournament does more for us.

"Not just for us, the top players, because we're the ones who have the most contact with you. But also for lower-ranked tennis players and the entire structure.

"So personally, I have nothing against you [journalists], but we've made this decision and we'll stick to it."

Defending French Open champion Coco Gauff, meanwhile, also stuck strictly to her 15-minute time limit.

Once those 15 minutes were up, she told reporters: "Sorry guys, I have to go."

"This is the first real point of action that we've done," the American had earlier stated. "Yeah, I think I'm proud that we were all able to get on the same page."

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Tennis, Jannik Sinner, Novak Djokovic

Ryan Smart
Ryan Smart

Live in constant hope of the top flight as a Preston North End fan. Written in the past for SPORF, GiveMeSport and more.

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

23 hours ago
a day ago
  • Getty Images
    23 hours ago

    Worrying Jannik Sinner fitness update emerges days before French Open opener

    We could have a major without both Jannik Sinner and Carlos Alcaraz, as the two heavyweights feel the effects of a strenuous schedule

    Tennis
  • Getty Images
    a day ago

    Novak Djokovic training with Grand Slam champion in preparation for Roland Garros

    Novak Djokovic has been training with a Grand Slam champion in preparation for Roland Garros.

    Tennis
  • Getty
    a day ago

    Jannik Sinner given ranking points by ATP Tour ahead of French Open despite not playing

    Sinner has gained additional ranking points on his record - even though he hasn't played this week.

    Tennis
  • Getty Images
    a day ago

    Jannik Sinner to take part in unprecedented French Open protest

    Sinner will be among 20 players who have staged a walkout of the French Open

    Tennis
  • Jannik Sinner to take part in unprecedented French Open protest
  • Jannik Sinner joins Novak Djokovic in historic club after winning Italian Open
  • Worrying Jannik Sinner fitness update emerges days before French Open opener
  • Jannik Sinner given ranking points by ATP Tour ahead of French Open despite not playing