
Aryna Sabalenka's actions towards a ball boy have sparked controversy online following her shock exit from the Cincinnati Open.
The world No.1 entered her last 16 clash against Sara Beljek as the overwhelming favourite after securing victories over Tania Gibson and Wang Xinyu.
But the four-time Grand Slam winner couldn't follow up her previous performances on Wednesday evening as she succumbed to a 7-6, 6-4 defeat against Beljek.
A defeat at the Lindner Family Tennis Center saw her continue a difficult grass-court campaign after losing in the round of 16 at Wimbledon and a fourth-round exit at last week's Canadian Open.
Advert
Sabalenka is still sitting at the top of the ATP Live Ranking, a position she's held since displacing Iga Swiatek in October 2024, but the 28-year-old is certainly feeling the heat.
Elena Rybakina is breathing down her neck in second, and the 27-year-old can overtake her once the rankings are updated next week if she reaches the final in Cincinnati.
Rybakina booked her place in the quarter-finals after beating Diana Shnaider 6-4, 6-4, piling further pressure onto Sabalenka, who was visibly frustrated during her clash with Beljek.
After losing a tie-break in the first set, the Belarusian was furious with herself and the way things were going. Not one for bottling her emotions, Sabalenka started to get irritated by a ball boy.
Right at the start of the second set, she faced two break points. She did not get the ball she was looking for and hit it with a bit of force away from the ball kid and into the crowd, forcing him to go and collect it from a spectator.
Reacting to the footage on X, fans weren't pleased with her actions. "Only happens when she’s losing," one person wrote.
"Exactly a terrible way to treat that kid," another agreed, while a third said: "No class at all."
A defeat for Sabalenka was painful, but delightful for Beljek, who reached a WTA 1000 quarter-final for the first time.
Rick Macci warns Aryna Sabalenka is on a 'slippery slope'
Sabalenka's defeat against the 20-year-old in Cincinnati is far from ideal preparation for her US Open defence at the end of this month.
While the world No.1 continues to showcase her exceptional qualities, particularly in her serve and power of shots, Rick Macci believes her mindset in the crucial moments is a cause for concern.
"Sabalenka is on a slippery slope. The "Belarusian bomber" still has an incredible serve, but in difficult moments, I see a different mindset in how she handles pressure," Serena and Venus Williams' former coach said.
"Her confidence comes and goes, rises and falls, but she still has that explosive power from the baseline."
According to Macci, the biggest battle Sabalenka faces is against herself and not the opponent on the other side of the net. But he is confident she can transform the mental side of her game ahead of the final major of the year.
"She can completely change the situation at the last Grand Slam of the season, because she has already proven mentally that she is a tiger, not a lamb," Macci added.
"Right now, Sabalenka is competing against herself. When an athlete reaches that point, they can still win a few matches, but mentally, their confidence is going in circles."
The draw for the US Open is made on August 26 before the tournament begins four days later.