
Nick Kyrgios has issued a statement confirming he has failed a drugs test and has been provisionally suspended from tennis.
Kyrgios, who has barely played on the ATP Tour since 2022 owing to various injury problems, has confirmed he tested positive for cocaine while in Mallorca.
In a statement posted to his Instagram page, the Australian wrote: "I recently failed a drugs test in Mallorca after testing positive for cocaine.
"I made a huge mistake and I take full responsibility for it.
Advert
"I'm sorry to my fans, my family, my sponsors and everyone close to me. Above all, I'm sorry to the kids who follow me. I know the example this sets and I'm deeply disappointed in myself.
"I'm not going to make excuses, but I do want to give some context about where I've been. The last couple of years of injuries have taken a huge toll on me, both physically and mentally. My body hasn't been able to do what my mind expects it to do, and coming to terms with beinbg near the end of my career has been harder than I ever imagined.
"I've always said I didn't choose tennis - tennis chose me. But letting go of something that has been my whole life is one of the hardest things I've ever had to face. At times I've felt helpless and alone. None of that excuses what I did.
"However, the good news is that this has given me a wake up call. For the next 28 days, I'll be stepping away from social media and public life while I focus on getting myself right. I'd ask that people respect my privacy during that time, and most importantly the privacy of my family.
"I'm sorry. I'll do the work and come back better."
ITIA issue statement on Nick Kyrgios suspension
Following Kyrgios' comments, the International Tennis Integrity Agency (ITIA) have also issued a statement.
They state that Kyrgios' test sample confirmed the presence of benzoylecgonine, which is a metabolite of cocaine, and that he provided a sample during an ATP 250 event in Mallorca on June 22.
The tournament was one of the just three ATP events Kyrgios has played in 2026, and he lost in straight sets 6-3 6-4 to fellow Australian Adam Walton in round one.
The ITIA have also confirmed that Kyrgios' provisional suspension has been in place since August 4, and that he has not yet appealed against the sanction.
He cannot play, coach at or attend events organised by 'World Tennis, the WTA, ATP, the Grand Slams or any national association' while his suspension is ongoing.
"Cocaine is a stimulant and substance of abuse on the WADA Prohibited List and is banned in competition under the Tennis Anti-Doping Programme," the statement adds.
"If taken out of competition, reduced sanctions apply for substances of abuse. Because of the nature of the substance, a provisional suspension is mandatory."
Kyrgios reached the final of Wimbledon in 2022 in what was his most successful season as a professional.
He lost 6-4, 6-3, 6-4, 7-6 to top seed Novak Djokovic, before going on to reach the quarter-finals of the US Open. The Australian also won his maiden doubles Grand Slam title at the Australian Open alongside compatriot Thanasi Kokkinakis.
But he missed the Australian Open at the beginning of 2023 due to a serious knee injury, returning at an ATP Tour event in Stuttgart in June of that year.
He then tore ligaments in his wrist, which ultimately kept him out of action for a total of 18 months after what he described as 'innovative' surgery to prevent arthritis.
Kyrgios told fellow tennis professional Alexander Bublik last year that he had suffered pain in his wrist during the Australian Open, before it 'just collapsed completely' after he hit a forehand shot while in Mallorca.
Kyrgios has played sporadically since then, but has suffered more wrist issues and a shoulder problem.
Topics: Tennis, Nick Kyrgios