
Max Verstappen has threatened again to quit Formula 1 at the end of the season if planned engine regulation changes are blocked.
The FIA revealed in early May that an agreement had been reached in principle regarding energy management reduction with this year’s new engines.
Strong opposition has since emerged, with the agreed changes unlikely to result in action due to a lack of adequate support.
The move is, as it stands, unable to be passed under Formula 1’s governance protocols, prompting fury from four-time champion Verstappen.
Advert
Driver complaints regarding the new engines during the 2026 F1 World Championship have become commonplace, with their ability to drive on the limit being reduced.
Earlier this week, Verstappen told reporters that the planned changes, now highly unlikely to move forward, would return the sport “almost back to normal."
The new engines are starved of energy, courtesy of an equal split between electrical energy and internal combustion, causing significant recovery issues.
‘Not mentally doable’, Verstappen wants to quit F1
After qualifying sixth for the Canadian Grand Prix, Verstappen revealed his thoughts on the agreement in principle failing to pass the required F1 protocols.
"If it stays like this, it's going to be a long year next year, which I don't want," said Verstappen.
"It's just mentally not doable for me to stay like this. It's really not,” continued the Dutch driver.
Verstappen, who recently drove the 24 Hours of Nürburgring, also appeared to confirm a permanent exit from Formula 1 if the planned changes fail to go ahead.
“There’s a lot of fun things out there,” said the four-time F1 champion, who fought with a sumo wrestler earlier in May.
The Red Bull driver has endured a torrid F1 season, initially failing to place higher than the fourth row in 2026's first three qualifying sessions.
Verstappen experienced an uptick in form during the Miami Grand Prix, claiming P2 in qualifying after a tense battle with eventual pole-sitter Kimi Antonelli.
The 28-year-old later described the performance as "light at the end of the tunnel", before finishing fifth in the main race.
Verstappen received a five second penalty in the aftermath of the Miami Grand Prix for crossing the white line at the pit exit, then suffered an underwhelming day in yesterday's Sprint qualifying session.
The Dutch driver cited a bizarre Red Bull fault that left his feet "flying off the pedals" as the culprit behind his poor performance, with further disappointment ensuing in today's Canadian Grand Prix qualifying session as he placed sixth.
The 28-year-old, who now feels that the sport is 'not mentally doable' unless the proposed changes move ahead, previously expressed his delight at the FIA’s agreement in principle, and shock that it hadn’t arrived sooner.
“It was like the minimum I was hoping for, and I think it’s really nice that that’s what they want to do. That’s definitely what I also think the sport needs,” said Verstappen on Thursday.
The Red Bull driver will return to Canadian Grand Prix action in tomorrow’s race, starting on the third row in Montreal.
Topics: Max Verstappen, Formula 1, Red Bull Racing, FIA