sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Las Vegas To Host Formula One Grand Prix Next Season
Home>Formula 1
Updated 10:59 31 Mar 2022 GMT+1Published 10:08 31 Mar 2022 GMT+1

Las Vegas To Host Formula One Grand Prix Next Season

The track includes a section of the famous Las Vegas Strip.

Rory O'Callaghan

Rory O'Callaghan

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Formula One has announced the Las Vegas Strip will host a night race next season.

In a break from the traditional format, the grand prix will take place on a Saturday in November and could potentially follow the American national holiday of Thanksgiving.

The track will be 3.8 miles long and has estimated top speeds of 212 mph. Drivers will race over 50 laps past some of the city’s most iconic landmarks, hotels and casinos.

Advert

It is set to become the third American race in the Formula One calendar, joining Miami and Austin.

President and chief executive of Formula 1, Stefano Domenicali, said: "This is an incredible moment for Formula 1 that demonstrates the huge appeal and growth of our sport with a third race in the US.

"Las Vegas is a destination known around the world for its excitement, hospitality, thrills, and of course, the famous strip.

"There is no better place for Formula 1 to race than in the global entertainment capital of the world and we cannot wait to be here next year."

Las Vegas has previously hosted Formula One in the 1980s, with two races held in the parking lot of the Caesars Palace hotel.

Last week, Domenicali told Sky Sports that the Formula One calendar could grow even further, with Africa touted a potential host for future races.

Las Vegas has previously hosted two F1 races in the 1980s (Image: PA)
Las Vegas has previously hosted two F1 races in the 1980s (Image: PA)

The current season has a record 23-race calendar but the current Concorde Agreement, which is due to run until 2025, allows 24 races per season.

"On top of America, on top of China, I think there is a potential also to be in Africa soon," said Domenicali.

"There is a lot of interest there. For sure that's another area that so far is missing in the geography of our calendar."

The decision to stage a third race in the United States has split opinion among Formula One fans.

One fan wrote on Twitter: “It’s all about money, throwing out the history and tradition of real F1 tracks, for this.

“Awesome tracks in Turkey and Portugal, but rather a 3rd race in the US. What about actually taking the series to Africa? It’s supposed to be a "world" championship!”

Another wrote: “If the US cared about actual racing, not just money, they’d spend money getting Laguna Seca or Road America up to grade 1 status, not some gimmick race in Las Vegas.”

Are you excited to see Formula One return to Las Vegas? Let us know your thoughts.

Featured Image Credit: PA Images

Topics: Formula 1

Rory O'Callaghan
Rory O'Callaghan

Rory O'Callaghan is Editorial Lead at SPORTbible. He has previously worked for Sky Sports News, MailOnline and Reach covering football, cricket, boxing and MMA.

X

@rory_ocallaghan

Recommended reads

Ronnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'GettyAteba Gautier was called the 'future' by Joe Rogan, but he's more interested in what his cats thinkMike Roach/Zuffa LLC

Advert

Choose your content:

15 hours ago
18 hours ago
a day ago
2 days ago
  • Getty Images
    15 hours ago

    Max Verstappen speaks out after Nurburgring 24hr debut ends in disaster

    Max Verstappen has spoken about his Nurburgring 24 hour debut as it ends in disaster.

    Formula 1
  • Getty Images
    18 hours ago

    Former F1 driver disqualified and loses license during same race Max Verstappen competes in

    A former F1 driver has been disqualified from the Nurburgring 24-Hour race, one Max Verstappen is competing in.

    Formula 1
  • Getty
    a day ago

    Max Verstappen using genius trick at 24h Nurburgring that has left drivers speechless

    Verstappen is racing the #3 car at the 24 Hours of Nurburgring.

    Formula 1
  • Getty Images
    2 days ago

    How Max Verstappen’s car at the Nurburgring is causing controversy

    An explanation as to how Max Verstappen's car for the Nurburgring is causing some controversy.

    Formula 1
  • F1 driver confirms FBI investigation after Miami Grand Prix incident
  • Adrian Newey hospitalised with illness requiring treatment during Miami Grand Prix
  • Sun burn, sore feet and unpredictable weather: The British Grand Prix mistakes you can avoid with these essential tips
  • Formula One officials hold emergency meeting amid fears Miami Grand Prix could be cancelled