sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Juventus, AC Milan and Inter Milan pushing to reduce the number of teams in Serie A
Home>Football>Serie A
Updated 11:01 10 Feb 2024 GMTPublished 11:00 10 Feb 2024 GMT

Juventus, AC Milan and Inter Milan pushing to reduce the number of teams in Serie A

The top clubs in Italy want to reduce the number of teams in Serie A from 20 to 18.

Jack Kenmare

Jack Kenmare

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Three of Italy's biggest clubs have reportedly come together to propose a huge change that will see the number of clubs in Serie A be reduced from 20 to 18.

The CEOs of Inter Milan, AC Milan and Juventus met at the Football Federation headquarters this week to discuss the matter with FIGC president Gabriele Gravina.

It is said the majority of Serie A clubs are against the proposal that will be debated at a FIGC assembly in Rome on March 11.

But the previously mentioned trio want the league to be reduced in size in a bid to 'ease the packed fixture list' and 'increase the quality of football on offer', according to the Daily Mail.

Advert

Inter Milan were represented by their CEO Beppe Marotta, while Juventus' general manager Maurizio Scanavino and director Francesco Calvo were in attendance to meet Gravina.

Paulo Scaroni, the president of AC Milan, is said to have joined the meeting on a video conference call.

Back in December, FIGC president Gabriele Gravina said he was "very passionate about the topic of reform."

He added: “I was the first to table the issue and present various projects, but words of agreement have not yet been followed by action.

"As such, I have formally called upon the Assembly to convene on 11 March in order to modify the Statute, which I announced would happen at the last Federal Council session.

"Either we move past the vetoes applied by vested interests in order to design a new model for Italian football, or I’ll ask the delegates to do away with the so-called memorandum of understanding that impedes us from taking concrete steps towards broad reforms of the football system.”

Image credit: Getty
Image credit: Getty

Serie A decided to expand from 18 to 20 clubs ahead of the 2004/05 season but that could all change as talks to return to the old system continue.

At present, both the Premier League and La Liga have 20 clubs, while the Bundesliga and Ligue 1 have 18.

Featured Image Credit: Getty Images

Topics: Serie A, Juventus, AC Milan, Inter Milan

Jack Kenmare
Jack Kenmare

Jack Kenmare is the Senior Journalist for SPORTbible, one of the world’s biggest social publishers. He specialises in long-form feature writing and has an encyclopedic knowledge of Football Manager wonderkids from 2005 to the present day. He has a BA (Hons) in Journalism and News Practice.

X

@jackkenmare_

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

8 hours ago
10 hours ago
11 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    8 hours ago

    Tottenham captain Cristian Romero will not be in attendance for final game against Everton

    Romero is being heavily criticised for his actions.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    8 hours ago

    Harry Maguire's mum and brother slam Thomas Tuchel decision after England World Cup snub

    Maguire says he is "shocked" and "gutted" by Tuchel's call.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    10 hours ago

    A list of players who have been left out of England's World Cup squad by the ruthless Thomas Tuchel

    Tuchel is also being criticised for some of his selections.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    11 hours ago

    Phil Foden and Cole Palmer to be left out of England's 26-man World Cup squad alongside three other big names

    Thomas Tuchel has made some big calls.

    Football
  • AC Milan fans stage incredible San Siro protest as ultras release scathing statement
  • Ex-Inter Milan Defender Forced to Retire With 'Incurable Illness' Dies Aged 39
  • Juventus Nickname Sparks Confusion on Quiz Show 'The Chase' as Answer Explained
  • Max Dowman compilation vs AC Milan is going viral and Arsenal fans are all in agreement about 15-year-old wonderkid