sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Former Barcelona star slams Neymar for 'throwing in the towel' and choosing money over football
Home>Football>Saudi Pro League
Published 11:40 17 Aug 2023 GMT+1

Former Barcelona star slams Neymar for 'throwing in the towel' and choosing money over football

Neymar has made the popular switch to the Saudi Pro League.

Joe Adams

Joe Adams

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Neymar has been accused of "throwing in the towel" by joining the Saudi Pro League rather than "leading the world" in Europe.

After weeks of speculation, it was confirmed on Tuesday that Neymar had ditched Paris Saint-Germain in favour of a move to Al Hilal, in a deal worth a reported £86 million.

The 31-year-old is allegedly set to earn an eye-watering salary of £138 million per season during his time in the Middle East.

But former Barcelona striker Jonathan Soriano, who played for Al Hilal in 2019, reckons the Brazilian has made the wrong decision, believing he could have "led world football" alongside Kylian Mbappe and Erling Haaland had he stayed.

Advert

“Neymar has enough quality to lead a team looking to win the Champions League", Soriano told Dazn (quotes via The Sun). "I believe that he has thrown in the towel.

"There is no Cristiano Ronaldo or Lionel Messi, so he could have led world football along with Mbappe and Haaland.

"Instead, he has decided to earn more money.”

However, Neymar has revealed that the money was not his main motivation behind the move, claiming that he is eager to test himself in new places

He said (quotes via talkSPORT): “I have achieved a lot in Europe and enjoyed special times, but I have always wanted to be a global player and test myself with new challenges and opportunities in new places.

“I want to write new sporting history, and the Saudi Pro League has tremendous energy and quality players at the moment.

“I have heard a lot and learned that I am following a long list of Brazilian players who have played in Saudi Arabia over the years, so I believe it is the desired place.”

“Al Hilal is a giant club with fantastic fans, and it is the best in Asia. This gives me a feeling that it is the right decision for me at the right time with the right club.

“I love winning and scoring goals, and I plan to continue doing that in Saudi Arabia and with Al Hilal.”

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Neymar, Saudi Pro League, Paris Saint-Germain, Barcelona, Football

Joe Adams
Joe Adams

Joe is a Journalist for SPORTbible with a primary focus on football. He has previously covered a number of other sports including boxing, rugby and F1. Wishes he was born left-footed.

X

@joeadamsjourno

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

3 hours ago
4 hours ago
6 hours ago
7 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    3 hours ago

    Tottenham captain Cristian Romero will not be in attendance for final game against Everton

    Romero is being heavily criticised for his actions.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    4 hours ago

    Harry Maguire's mum and brother slam Thomas Tuchel decision after England World Cup snub

    Maguire says he is "shocked" and "gutted" by Tuchel's call.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    6 hours ago

    A list of players who have been left out of England's World Cup squad by the ruthless Thomas Tuchel

    Tuchel is also being criticised for some of his selections.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    7 hours ago

    Phil Foden and Cole Palmer to be left out of England's 26-man World Cup squad alongside three other big names

    Thomas Tuchel has made some big calls.

    Football
  • The top 10 highest salaries in world football have been revealed with Neymar set for huge pay increase
  • Neymar makes feelings clear on Kylian Mbappe after 'liking' Instagram post about PSG star
  • Neymar could receive £130 million lump sum the moment he joins Al Hilal as stunning contract clause revealed
  • Neymar explains his reasons for moving to Al Hilal, says it isn't for money