sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Saudi Arabia ‘to withdraw from World Cup 2030 bidding’ after huge transfer spree
Home>Football
Published 13:46 23 Jun 2023 GMT+1

Saudi Arabia ‘to withdraw from World Cup 2030 bidding’ after huge transfer spree

Saudi Arabia have been making headlines in the world of football in recent weeks

Marcus Chan

Marcus Chan

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Saudi Arabia are reportedly withdrawing their interest in hosting the 2030 World Cup.

It was reported that Saudi Arabia were leading a joint bid along with Egypt and Greece.

However, Egypt announced they were withdrawing from the bid back in April.

Now, according to Greek news outlet Kathimerini, the Saudis are also going to shelve their interest in hosting the tournament in seven years’ time.

Advert

The report stated that Saudi Arabia decided to withdraw as they believe it is Europe’s turn to host the biggest tournament in football.

Before the news of the withdrawal, it was reported that the Crown Prince and Prime Minister of Saudi Arabia, Mohammed bin Salman Al Saud promised Greece they would pay the bill for the stadiums to be built.

It was claimed that Saudi Arabia would host 75 per cent of the matches if they were successful with their bid.

This shock decision comes after a recent transfer spree led by the biggest clubs in the Saudi Professional League.

Back in January, Cristiano Ronaldo became the first big name to move to the Middle East after the five-time Ballon d’Or winner signed for Al Nassr.

Since then, the Saudis have been trying their best to lure some of football’s biggest names to move to the country.

Ronaldo’s former Real Madrid teammate, Karim Benzema has left Madrid for Al Ittihad, where he will be joined by Chelsea midfielder N’Golo Kante.

Amazing… I can’t wait 🐅🔥⚽️ #nueve #alhamdulillah 🤲🏽❤️ pic.twitter.com/LdyPikaaC7

— Karim Benzema (@Benzema) June 10, 2023

It was reported that Kante signed a deal worth an eye-watering £86 million per year, whilst Benzema is set to take home a staggering £172 million a year.

In recent weeks, the likes of Hakim Ziyech, Edouard Mendy, Ruben Neves, Bernardo Silva and Kalidou Koulibaly have all been heavily linked with a move to Saudi Arabia.

Recently, UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin said Saudi Arabia are making a mistake with their huge spending.

He said: “I think that it’s mainly a mistake for Saudi Arabian football.

“Why is that a problem for them? Because they should invest in academies, they should bring coaches, and they should develop their own players.

“The system of buying the players that almost ended their career is not the system that develops football.”

Featured Image Credit: Alamy

Topics: Saudi Arabia, Saudi Pro League, Football, Football World Cup

Marcus Chan
Marcus Chan

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

  • Saudi Arabia and Qatar Selected As Host Nations in New World Cup Controversy
  • Brazil prepared to leave out huge name to bring Neymar to World Cup and it'll cause controversy
  • Highly-rated prospect omitted from World Cup squad after his father calls 'shocked' coach to turn down call-up
  • Iran issue statement on World Cup participation as ultimatum put to FIFA and Trump

Choose your content:

7 hours ago
8 hours ago
10 hours ago
11 hours ago
  • Liverpool FC/Getty
    7 hours ago

    ‘That’s never going to happen to me again’: Mo Salah’s darkest moment explained by fellow Liverpool legend

    This almost broke the Egyptian.

    Football
  • Eddie Keogh/Stringer/Getty
    8 hours ago

    Pep Guardiola praised after speaking about the one regret he's ‘hid deep inside for many years'

    The Manchester City man still thinks about it.

    Football
  • Getty
    10 hours ago

    Jose Mourinho ready to axe TEN Real Madrid players including unthinkable name

    Mourinho is willing to sanction the sales of a host of Real Madrid stars - with some more surprising inclusions than others.

    Football
  • Getty
    11 hours ago

    Man Utd 'close in' on £140m double transfer including player Michael Carrick 'specifically wants'

    Michael Carrick was officially unveiled as United's new permanent head coach on Friday, having signed a two-year contract.

    Football