sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Jamie Carragher urges Premier League and UEFA to halt Saudi Arabian takeover of football
Home>Football
Published 07:42 22 Jun 2023 GMT+1

Jamie Carragher urges Premier League and UEFA to halt Saudi Arabian takeover of football

Carragher is worried about two players moving to the Saudi Pro League and has called for a stop of the 'sportswashing.'

Ryan Sidle

Ryan Sidle

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Jamie Carragher is clearly worried about the prospect of Bernardo Silva swapping the Premier League for the Saudi Pro League and has called on UEFA and the Premier League to stop sportswashing.

Since the Saudi Arabia Public Investment Fund took over the running of the country's four biggest football teams they have begun a shopping spree on European football.

Karim Benzema was the first to join his former Real Madrid teammate Cristiano Ronaldo in the league ranked just the 58th best in the world.

Now the league has added N'Golo Kante and Ruben Neves to their ranks with several more high profile players reportedly in talks.

Advert

The move for Neves was the first for a player under the age of 30 and fans were quick to remind the former Wolves' star of his desire to play Champions League football.

Whilst most of the players they have targeted are beyond their best days and Neves had never quite reached the elite, a potential move for Manchester City star Silva would arguably be the PIF's biggest move to date.

At just 28-years-old the forward is just reaching his peak and won the Premier League, FA Cup and Champions League Treble with Pep Guardiola's side earlier this month.

Carragher is clearly concerned by the idea of Silva moving to the Middle East and took to social media to make his case.


Bernardo Silva is in his peak years & has been one of the best players in Europe for the last five years!

I wasn’t worried about the Saudi League taking players in their 30’s, a touch worried with players below the elite (Neves) but if this happens it feels like a game changer… https://t.co/hcDUbkGp30

— Jamie Carragher (@Carra23) June 21, 2023

Responding to speculation that the former Monaco player was on the 'verge' of moving to the Saudi Pro League, the Liverpool legend said: "Bernardo Silva is in his peak years & has been one of the best players in Europe for the last five years!

"I wasn’t worried about the Saudi League taking players in their 30’s, a touch worried with players below the elite (Neves) but if this happens it feels like a game changer.

"Saudi have taken over Golf, the big Boxing fights & now they want to take over football!!

"This sports washing needs to be stopped!", whilst tagging UEFA and the Premier League.

The PIF also own Newcastle United and there have been reports of Neves going out on loan to Eddie Howe's side, despite only just arriving in Saudi Arabia.

Rival fans are also annoyed at how many Chelsea players could be headed there, especially as the PIF are said to be a 'major investor' in the Blues' majority shareholders.

Fears over Silva's move may not yet come to fruition with Fabrizio Romano claiming no decision has been made as PSG remain very interested and City still want to keep him, especially Jack Grealish.

Featured Image Credit: Alamy

Topics: Jamie Carragher, Premier League, Saudi Pro League, Saudi Arabia, Bernardo Silva, Manchester City, Manchester City Transfer News & Rumours, Ruben Neves, UEFA

Ryan Sidle
Ryan Sidle

Ryan is a journalist for SPORTbible with over eight years of experience. Passionate about all sports, he mainly covers football and F1 - Daniel Ricciardo once spent an entire interview referring to him as 'Ryan Gosling,' still his proudest moment.

X

@Sidler28

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

13 mins ago
an hour ago
2 hours ago
4 hours ago
  • Getty
    13 mins ago

    Harry Kane intervened and made sure Thomas Tuchel picked one player for England squad

    Three Lions player's name 'came up constantly' despite Tuchel's anger over attitude in training

    Football
  • Getty
    an hour ago

    Real Madrid 'considering' Sunderland player as first transfer of Jose Mourinho era

    Jose Mourinho is reportedly willing to get rid of a number of big stars but could do some shopping in the Premier League.

    Football
  • Getty
    2 hours ago

    EFL Championship play-off final sees Wembley Stadium make historic stand naming decision

    Wembley Stadium will make history this weekend, with a major change made for a good cause.

    Football
  • Getty
    4 hours ago

    Enzo Maresca set to raid Chelsea at Man City as talks held with 'desired' transfer target

    Enzo Maresca is already looking to make his mark at Manchester City as he prepares to replace Pep Guardiola.

    Football
  • Alvaro Morata could become one the world's highest paid players after insane Al Hilal contract offer
  • How Al Nassr could line up next season if Cristiano Ronaldo's team secure six huge summer signings
  • Man Utd star Antony ignores Cristiano Ronaldo in building his perfect player
  • Football fans unhappy with Saudi Pro League buying Chelsea's unwanted stars